IGNORED

What do you spend on a new bow setup?

Sticks n' Stones2

I'm looking at treating myself to a new recurve before I go away to college, I'm eyeing a used Black Widow and a used Bear Kodiak takedown, but even at reduced prices of $550 and $600 I'm still not comfortable shelling out THAT much money for a bow. I'm also looking at older bear recurves for half the money that would shoot just as fine.  They're all 60-65lbs since I wanted a good hunting weight in the range of mortals, instead of 100# bow, plus watching old Fred Bear films convinced my that glass laminated bows are more efficient than I once thought and don't really need higher poundages above 70#. Fred Bear took an elephant with a 75lbs bow.

If you don't mind giving me advice on prices and such (unless you're worried about your wife/girlfriend seeing how much you paid) I'd like get an guesstimate on what you'd shell out for a new bow setup, including bow accessories.

I usually buy used 1 or 2 year old bows from archerytalk.  I take them to my shop for a complete disasemble and once-over, then they get fresh strings and cables and I add my accessories and then tune and set them up from scratch.  It's a great way to save  a grand

Edited by not on the rug

I last compound was a hoyt. I always put best of the best sight and rest. I paid around $2600 for the bow, arrows, heads, case, etc. Complete set-up.   

my last recurve was a blacktail and the bow ran me over $2200. Then I dumped another several hundred into arrows to tune And shoot along with weighted inserts, broadheads, fluflus, tabs,etc I probably am all in for $2800 or so.

I always buy top end bows. I live to bowhunt and I hate buying junk I will regret later. But once cry once.

I had one listed for sale but I may end up keeping it as a backup. I still enjoy shooting it and it's nice to have a backup.

$0.00. All kidding aside......

With 2 girls in college and Evil knievel on his dirt bikes, my 2005 Mathews Switchback is perfect for me while on stand. Shoots great, accurate, and one of the best bows I have ever shot. It is no longer about me..........not complaining, I assure you. 

Edited by LPJR

I hunted for my first 3 years with a bear white tail hunter killed 2 deer,  my dad came home one day with a buck master 2000 that I killed more deer than I could count with that he got at a yard sale for 25 dollars.    Than I turned 18 and treated myself to a red head kryptyk wich I spent 350 on..  when I bought my house at 27 I bought  a mathews zxt that was around 1100 and currently at 32 have that bow.   My next bow will probly be next year but who knows..  it's not the bow it's the indian

Nobody NEEDS expensive bows..
Nobody NEEDS expensive clothing, or cars, or jewelry or smartphones, but we all splurge on certain things because it's nice to treat yourself to nice things.
We all have different wants and needs.

Ill walk around in underwear that is 10 years old and holes in the crotch because I think $10/pair is a rip off, but spend a ton on a bow, And buy broadheads that are $13 per head and shoot them 1x and throw them away.
Others I know shoot a hand me down and Walmart special hunting gear, but will spend $100s a week on booze at the bars or cigarettes.

I cut spending in many ways. Never vacation much, dont drink, dont smoke, I just enjoy nice "toys" I like to spend my money on objects that hold some sort of value.
My recurve was very expensive but I'm certain if I never wanted to sell it I'd get a good amount for it. Theybare limited supply and several months to wait on custom orders. They post a few bows for sale once in awhile and they sell extremely fast.
Blacktailbows.com

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

5 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Nobody NEEDS expensive bows..
Nobody NEEDS expensive clothing, or cars, or jewelry or smartphones, but we all splurge on certain things because it's nice to treat yourself to nice things.
We all have different wants and needs.

Ill walk around in underwear that is 10 years old and holes in the crotch because I think $10/pair is a rip off, but spend a ton on a bow, And buy broadheads that are $13 per head and shoot them 1x and throw them away.
Others I know shoot a hand me down and Walmart special hunting gear, but will spend $100s a week on booze at the bars or cigarettes.

I cut spending in many ways. Never vacation much, dont drink, dont smoke, I just enjoy nice "toys" I like to spend my money on objects that hold some sort of value.
My recurve was very expensive but I'm certain if I never wanted to sell it I'd get a good amount for it. Theybare limited supply and several months to wait on custom orders. They post a few bows for sale once in awhile and they sell extremely fast.
Blacktailbows.com

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Couldn’t agree more .

the money I have saved not drinking has bought me way more toys than I could imagine .

making my own , lures and arrows has let me buy much better equipment with that saved money .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/