IGNORED

Making my first pulled pork. How do you do it?!?

After many years of owning a smoker I am finally giving it a real go. I have an electric master built smoker. I bought an 8lb pork shoulder to do a test run this weekend for next weekends actual bbq. I found some recipes online but want to hear how some of you guys do it.  Temps, time (7.5lbs), dry rub vs wet, marinade etc.  I really only can devote the time on Sunday and waking up early is no problem!  Thanks!

Dry rub for few hrs or overnight and then it’s just time in the smoker. Smoke for 2 to 3 hrs and then just let the heat do the job. Follow your recipe for how long but it will take about +_ 12 hrs at 200. Inside temp of meet will tell you when it’s done. That’s the key, temperature not the time. Little too long and it will be dry, not enough time and it will not be cooked 

will wait for pics

Like Haskell said, LOW and SLOW. No Need to check it by pulling the lid off. Let it COOK. I have learned lots by just listening to others on the site who have been there before. Look up some of the threads in the smoker section for very useful tips. Good luck, post pics! :up:

2 hours ago, TouchofGrey said:

All good tips, especially cook to Temp. 203...and thermometer should go in like hot knife in butter. Plan an hour plus per pound at 225 or so. Pork is very forgiving. Load cooler up now and go through past thread it's going to be good eats.

203 seams little high. I go to 190 and let it rest. Maybe 13 degrees makes no difference 

3 hours ago, Lunatic said:

203 seams little high. I go to 190 and let it rest. Maybe 13 degrees makes no difference 

I used to go to 190... But I wasn't happy with the end result... I think it could have been the cut of meat... Sometimes the meat is the uncontrollable variable. The last couple I did bone in and boneless seemed jucier with a thicker bark... I also like spritzing with some form of juice and rum combination after about 160 degrees. What ever I have done has been better than most places I've been to..and the dog never walks away from the bowl :).

46 minutes ago, TouchofGrey said:

I used to go to 190... But I wasn't happy with the end result... I think it could have been the cut of meat... Sometimes the meat is the uncontrollable variable. The last couple I did bone in and boneless seemed jucier with a thicker bark... I also like spritzing with some form of juice and rum combination after about 160 degrees. What ever I have done has been better than most places I've been to..and the dog never walks away from the bowl :).

There is no wrong way, unless you don’t like the final result. When I take my shoulder off at 190 it easy gets up to 200 while resting

8 hours ago, TouchofGrey said:

I agree i used to do 190-195, but my buddy swore 203-205 was the ticket. I have to say it makes a difference. I only do them to 205  anymore.  Seems the meat is juicier, shreds better, and the bark also comes out better.

Try it and see if theres a difference 

I use hams instead of shoulders now after years of doing it. I put my hams in a cooler, salt them, small bottle of cider vinegar, fill with water til most of the meats covered then ice on top. 

Let it sit 8-10hrs, re ice as needed. 

225deg on smoker up to temp and I let the hams go until internal temp it about 205 then pull it out and let rest. 

Shred chop or pull, then sauce and eat

20190714_183802.jpg