IGNORED

Round Valley/NJ Lake Trout

haggerty1616

Hey guys, hope everyone's summer is going well. Haven't posted in some time, but am actively on the site daily.

Anyways, me and my buddies are typically bass fisherman, but bought a downrigger and got our first taste of lake trout fishing up in the Finger Lakes this past May. Haven't had any time to get back out fishing so far this year since buying a new house, but was thinking of trying Round Valley this Sunday for some Lakers.

Not looking for any secrets or spots, but just wanted to see how the bite has been overall this time of year, etc. since I don't really have any experience.

Thanks!

This time of year is a tuff time of year to catch the lakers Alot of guys fish at night. You can still catch lakers but i would fish early morning or later afternoons. I like early morning the best. I usually fish before sunrise to about 10am around this time of year. You need to fish between 80 to 100 feet of water any less this time of year and your wasting your time on Lakers. You also need to regulate your trolling speed between 1.2 and 2.0 mph. I like to vari my speed between 1.2 to 1.5. I have found slow works best for me. A good fish finder really helps with this. Along with knowing the depth. There is a good stretch of 80 to 110 feet of water that runs the center of the lake. If you catch one  make a note of it and go back over that spot. There's a good chance there may be more there. Go to RV bait and tackle and get some cow bells ( which is string of five or six spinners)  and peanut rigs. Get the green and glow in the dark combo peanuts. They seem to work well. If Zack the owner is there he can tell everything you will ever want to know about catching Lakers in RV.   Good Luck!!!

years back, i hooked my largest brown trout off the rocks near the boat ramp. it was late fall, first morning light, and a 6 weight flyrod with a sinking tip and a tungston black wooley bugger. i hooked it, plenty of head shakes, bunch of runs, got it to the surface, and hook popped out. :rant: something ill never forget. i have tired many times with the same time, time of year, and set up. it never happen since. 

Good advice above and welcome to the site Haggerty :up:

When I fished at Merrill Creek with an old timer years ago, he swore by the thermocline like Hunterbob said and fished it accordingly. He would toss a thermometer overboard and when he found the exact depth to drop herrings to, we had numerous rods bending all at the same time. 

Best of luck tomorrow 

Unfortunately, we got skunked. That's alright though, it was a nice day and we started to learn the lake and started marking areas with fish as the day progressed.

Next time we can put a game plan together.

Although, the one odd thing we noticed was that we didn't mark a ton of bait, some here and there, but not a ton.