My dad is looking into an ATV and my mom wants him to get electric. I'm an old-fashioned guy with gas. Obviously, you don't want to run out of battery in the middle of the woods. What are your thoughts on the pros and cons? Torque payload, ect. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There are just certain things that I would trust more like a gas powered ATV then electric. You can run out of gas and be in same predictament as battery losing its charge. But I would think it is easier to add some gas from a can in the garage then waiting for the battery to charge.

What kind of ATV are you referring to?  I don't know of any adult sized electric ATV's.  I know there are a couple UTV's that are electric like the polaris ranger EV and plenty of golf carts but I haven't seen an electric ATV that isn;t marketed toward kids/teens.  That polaris EV runs on a 48 volt battery that is about $1000 to replace.  That right there is enough to keep me running gas engines.

You can pour gas into an ATV and be on your way in 5 minutes.  Or you can plug it in, make a sandwich, take a nap, and it might be fully charged again.

• Like 1

Haskell I totally agree with you on that and I'm trying to figure out comparisons in regards to Specs. Yes she was looking at the Polaris

I never knew that they made an electric one. I know now. 

Why

Because I’m old school and resist change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gas. More power and will last longer. Rechargeable batteries will only last so long before needing to be replaced. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, NotJust22s said:

The question is, what does he plan on using it for? 

It would be for light use and recreation but I really dont buy into electric for the risk of running out of juice. How the hell do you charge 1 stuck in the middle of the woods. I am curious of the specs vs gas though.