IGNORED

What best describes you? Are you or do we know any "metronecks"?

JHbowhunter

Not sure .... I’m a corporate executive with a Masters degree. I love to hunt, fish and hike.  I’m trying to convince Mrs. Merkel that we should move to a farm in rural VA or NC.  But, I enjoy the theater, art galleries, fine restaurants, and traveling.  Not sure what that makes me but it sounds pretty...... 

22 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

and this one I love  - do we know any????

metroneck

A cross between a redneck and a metrosexual. If you have a graduate degree, own a gun, and use it regularly, you might be a metroneck. If you live in Montana and drink lattes, you are probably a metroneck. If you live in interior British Columbia, ski 100 days a year, and drink fine wine, you are most certainly a metroneck.

"We just got back from elk hunting...we drank 18 PBR's on the drive back and now we are going to make some foie gras for an appetizer before we head to the symphony...it's been an epic day of metronecking."

Did anyone else cringe, hard, while reading this?  :laughing:  Its  kind of funny but this has been on my mind in some ways lately.  As some of you know, we just buried my 91 year old grandmother on Thursday.  As far as I know both her and my grandfather only went as far as the 8th grade, which wasn't exactly uncommon in those days, but its somewhat remarkable to think that two generations later (my parents finished high school but did not go to college) here I am with a Masters degree and my wife does as well.  As I looked around at the viewing the night before and the during the funeral as I gave the eulogy (very tough, but glad that I did it) at relatives I hadn't seen in years, some who never left Burlington County, some who ended up farming out in Central PA, and others, it looked like a casting call for the Beverly Hillbillies :laughing:  Though I might have had more education (and student debt :crying:) and a much different profession than anyone in that room, their rural roots run just as deep in me and always will.  However, the pursuit of education has made me appreciate knowledge in all its forms and that all it really does is give you the tools to keep learning new things.  I've always loved this quote:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Heinlein describes what many people would refer to as a "Renaissance Man," which would describe many of our Founding Fathers, Franklin and Jefferson especially.  Franklin never stopped learning and innovating in the fields of history, science, government, technology, literature, etc...  It would have annoyed them (and it annoys me) when I meet fellow professionals with educational backgrounds similar to mine who don't know how to do things or how things work.  I'm not an ASE Certified Mechanic or a Master Plumber, but I have a pretty solid understanding of how my vehicles work, how to perform every regular service on them (or find the information to do a proper repair) and the same for the boiler and well in my home.  Likewise, it is equally annoying to deal with people who make assumptions about folks like me with a "bunch of fancy book learnin..."  Not really sure if that answers the question, but in case it doesn't, I consider myself a "Swamp Yankee," which is simply a term for a rural Yankee (northerner).  I'm not a southerner (redneck) and have no claim to any southern heritage south of Browns Mills :rofl:

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Hmmm guess that’s me. Wear a suit every day. Drink a lot of fine wine. Love a good Italian shotgun.  Casual dress is slacks and a blazer. Drive a nice car during the week. Love a good latte hahaha. 

HOWEVER....

Will only drive my truck when not working.  My hunting dogs are my life. Spend sept-feb hunting everything you can imagine. Fish all summer. Most vacations are hunting trips.  Every second not in a suit, I’m outside with my dogs either training or having fun. Don’t go anywhere without them on the weekends. 

You can love to hunt and fish and not be a redneck haha 

15 hours ago, Merkel said:

Not sure .... I’m a corporate executive with a Masters degree. I love to hunt, fish and hike.  I’m trying to convince Mrs. Merkel that we should move to a farm in rural VA or NC.  But, I enjoy the theater, art galleries, fine restaurants, and traveling.  Not sure what that makes me but it sounds pretty...... 

Yeah you're definitely metro something.   :rofl:

#metroneck here!!!

(The better half of the duo [emoji6])

I’m from NYC (Staten island & brooklyn) used to be a city girl, hubby calls me a wannabe redneck [emoji23]

Masters degree, plus an additional 34 graduate credits. LOVE fishing for trout, salmon, & steelhead. Hunting deer,turkey, hogs, & bears. I live life in camo & plaid. & i LOVE my guns, 2A all the way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Dynamicduojx said:

#metroneck here!!! (The better half of the duo emoji6.png)
I’m from NYC (Staten island & brooklyn) used to be a city girl. Masters degree, plus an additional 34 graduate credits. LOVE fishing for trout, salmon, & steelhead. Hunting deer,turkey, hogs, & bears. I live life in camo & plaid. & i LOVE my guns, 2A all the way!!

:cheers: