IGNORED

Fish and Game Council Meeting - August 13

I know they passed the new Game Code this week.  I hear in addition to the closing of ruffed grouse, I understand that all urine and gland based deer lures/scents will be outlawed but that artificial scents will be allowed.  Also, those of us hunting out of state will no longer be able to bring our deer back from other states whole.  The head must be removed due to the rapid spread of CWD.  More details to follow soon. 

Read last month's minutes... some not-so-good things in it:

The CWD control area in Pennsylvania was expanded by 2000 square miles. The Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director made a dark statement saying we will never eradicate this, and we will never stop this spread of CWD in PA. ... Penn State released research last week on CWD showing northeastern deer are genetically more susceptible.

A-5452 and S-3876 Provides that firearms purchaser identification card is valid for four years; requires training prior to issuance of firearms cards and handgun purchase permits; reviews procedures for passing of firearms to heir or legatee. This is not directly a hunting bill, but hunters will be interested in it if your Firearm ID card is expiring and need to get a new one. 

Because it is SO easy to buy a gun now (says me still waiting 30 days after applying for a handgun purchase permit :banghead:)

A-5489 and S-3822 Allows persons 65 and older to operate all-terrain vehicles on certain State lands while hunting. Wildlife management lands are included. We do not want any additional ATVs on the Wildlife Management Areas

O...M...G. That's all we need are ATVs driving by our stands - bad enough with the dirt bikers.

An interesting thing - 6 people who had lost their hunting privileges due to having a couple violations in the past few years tried to get their hunting license back - all were denied. The Council doesn't play around.

35 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I know they passed the new Game Code this week.  I hear in addition to the closing of ruffed grouse, I understand that all urine and gland based deer lures/scents will be outlawed but that artificial scents will be allowed.  Also, those of us hunting out of state will no longer be able to bring our deer back from other states whole.  The head must be removed due to the rapid spread of CWD.  More details to follow soon. 

Wow. If this is true, it is a pretty big deal. We hunt PA but not in the CWD areas. I will have to keep an eye on this.  Thanks for the warning. 

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

7 hours ago, nickmarch said:

They passed the 19/20 game code? I wonder if they ignored my petition to repeal a turkey regulation?

You can read my post here at...

The person I spoke with on the Council did not mention any changes to turkey regs, but we didn't talk about the entire game code.  If you want to change a regulation, the best way to do it is to sit down with the wildlife biologists or law enforcement - depending on what you are looking to change - and get their buy in.  Then you take it to the Federation for their support and so that they can get their 5 Council members to vote your way.  A petition of 75 or so signatures isn't the same thing.  The anti bear hunting group hands the Council petitions all of the time and they are meaningless.    

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

It is a requirement of the NJ Administrative Code that a petition be filed to repeal a regulation.  The petition is not signed by a  number of people it only needs to be signed by one person.

§ 7:1D-1.1 Procedure to petition for a rule

(a)  Unless otherwise provided in Title 7 of the New Jersey Administrative Code, this section shall constitute the Department of Environmental Protection's rules regarding the disposition of all requests for rulemaking pursuant to N.J.S.A. 52:14B-4(f).

(b)  Any interested person may petition the Department of Environmental Protection to promulgate, amend or repeal any rule of the Department of Environmental Protection. Such petition must be in writing, signed by the petitioner, and must state clearly and concisely:

1.  The full name and address of the petitioner;

2.  The substance or nature of the rulemaking which is requested. The petitioner may provide the text of the requested proposed rule;

3.  The reasons for the request;

4.  The petitioner's interest in the request, including any relevant organization affiliation or economic interest;

5.  The statutory authority under which the Department of Environmental Protection may take the requested action; and

6.  Existing Federal or State statutes and rules which the petitioner believes may be pertinent to the request.

30 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

It is a requirement of the NJ Administrative Code that a petition be filed to repeal a regulation.  The petition is not signed by a  number of people it only needs to be signed by one person.

§ 7:1D-1.1 Procedure to petition for a rule

(a)  Unless otherwise provided in Title 7 of the New Jersey Administrative Code, this section shall constitute the Department of Environmental Protection's rules regarding the disposition of all requests for rulemaking pursuant to N.J.S.A. 52:14B-4(f).

(b)  Any interested person may petition the Department of Environmental Protection to promulgate, amend or repeal any rule of the Department of Environmental Protection. Such petition must be in writing, signed by the petitioner, and must state clearly and concisely:

1.  The full name and address of the petitioner;

2.  The substance or nature of the rulemaking which is requested. The petitioner may provide the text of the requested proposed rule;

3.  The reasons for the request;

4.  The petitioner's interest in the request, including any relevant organization affiliation or economic interest;

5.  The statutory authority under which the Department of Environmental Protection may take the requested action; and

6.  Existing Federal or State statutes and rules which the petitioner believes may be pertinent to the request.

Looks like they didn't make any baiting changes based on your petition, sorry.  It appears you asked the Council to change turkey baiting laws to allow you to have a weapon within 300' of bait, and the Council and biologists don't want hunters shooting turkeys over bait.  So they may very well have considered your petition, but that in no way requires them to accept the changes you want.   

16 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Looks like they didn't make any baiting changes based on your petition, sorry.  It appears you asked the Council to change turkey baiting laws to allow you to have a weapon within 300' of bait, and the Council and biologists don't want hunters shooting turkeys over bait.  So they may very well have considered your petition, but that in no way requires them to accept the changes you want.   

I do not want to hunt turkey within 300' of bait or be fined for hunting within 300' of bait that I do not know is there.

Biologists do not make laws elected legislators make laws.  If biologists or the council do not want hunters within 300' of bait they are required to have the legislature pass a law to forbid it.  They can not legally just make a regulation that conflicts with the law.