IGNORED

How many of you "avoid" bucks?

JHbowhunter

In one of my spots,  I have a buck I have been "avoiding" past two season. I believe he is 5 years old now. He is generally the dominant buck, but just either hasn't reached his potential or may never be a real slammer. He is always "tempting" looking though.   Since he generally takes over a core area and due to the modern technology of trail cams, I can usually get him patterned - but I just don't hunt for him. I would rather "avoid" than sit in the tree only to pass him up or even worse - be tempted in the moment...  This does require discipline and also of course eliminates the possibility that a "surprise" buck much larger "could" show.     Naturally if a larger buck does show on cam, I would hunt that core area.    

This is result of "the trail cam" for better or worse, and just wasn't even thought of the first 25-30 years I bow hunted. My hunting now is more strategy and surveillance and reading the wind and conditions rather than just hunting for the heck of it.    I am not saying it has taken the joy out of hunting, but it has changed the way I hunt (because of targeting specific bucks).

Does anyone else use "avoidance" as a strategy to let bucks grow?

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Not just one in particular.  They all seem to be as you described.  I've tried avoiding some on occasions when a big buck was following.  Usually didn't work out.  Other times they get my heart pumping but get a pass.  I don't have a lot of trust in trail cams to tell me where my best chances are, and are not, for a big buck.  They don't pattern well, change core areas often, walk behind the camera, and don't move in daylight until the rut when they can be anywhere.  Best to be where the does are, instead of trying to avoid small bucks.

Shoulding be telling you this stuff, after seeing your wall.  Keep doing what you're doing.

8 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

You wanna put the thrill back into hunting stop baiting, sell your trail cams. Scout the old fashioned way and shoot what makes your heart race without thinking about score.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

It didn't take the thrill out, If anything, it increased it.

I shot a big 10pt once….

20 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

You wanna put the thrill back into hunting stop baiting, sell your trail cams. Scout the old fashioned way and shoot what makes your heart race without thinking about score.

I actually stopped baiting 4-5 years ago and haven't put out a cam in that time span as well. Although I haven't hunted the last 3 seasons, I will be out this season and just hang a stand and wait and hopefully get a shot at one or two deer this year.

I would take that deer out if I knew he wasnt getting any better or if he seemed like a bully. Even though hes not a shooter to you, if hes the dominant or bully buck of the area, he is most likely keeping other bucks, possibly bigger out of the area. 

I watched a 130 inch bully buck  late season last year knock a 150 on his ass. I mean flattened him. If it wasnt for him i would of killed that deer. 

They keep other bucks away. 

www.liftxrentals.com

33 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Says the guy with the biggest bait pile in zone 10 

:happywave:

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

16 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

I would take that deer out if I knew he wasnt getting any better or if he seemed like a bully. Even though hes not a shooter to you, if hes the dominant or bully buck of the area, he is most likely keeping other bucks, possibly bigger out of the area. 

I watched a 130 inch bully buck  late season last year knock a 150 on his ass. I mean flattened him. If it wasnt for him i would of killed that deer. 

They keep other bucks away. 

this may be his year..

I shot a big 10pt once….

I'll avoid certain spots until its time. Trail cameras can be both a blessing and a curse. A blessing by showing you what's there but a curse in the sense that it contributes to over hunting a spot. Especially, a baited spot.  I pretty much went back to old school and enjoy the hunting quite a bit more without tying myself in knots. If a buck shows up at the door and rings my bell I'll answer it.