One of the strongest I would say could be a Amber Jack. It's like a giant bluefish without teeth.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Big eye tuna will kick anyone's ass. My last on took me 3 hours to land. After that I spent the next hour puking my guts out. Couldn't keep any liquid down.

Edited by rgw
  • Haha 2

Big gator blues , smallmouth , two of my favorites . Just got back to the family cabin up in Maine . My cousins took me on a fly fishing adventure today (only the second day with a fly rod in my hand ) up to  Rapid River .... caught a bunch of smallies on the fly and lost a salmon at last light . That salmon gave me a run for my money ! 

• Like 2

BIG Tarpon and 30 to 50 lb stripers when the water temp is just right...hybred stripers and steeheads in freshwater

• Like 1

Think it's all relative to where your catching them and what kind of tackle .

Catch a tuna on heavy trolling gear or chunking the rod kicks your ass . Same fish on a jigging rod isn't half the fight.

Catch a king in the river they whoop ya . Same fish caught in big water not impressed.

Striper in open ocean is just one hard run .Same fish in heavy current fights as good as anything ..

Fresh water bulldog that's way underrated is big carp. 

I personally like All the differ ent  fish . On the right tackle they are all fun

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

IMG_0817.jpg

Once you spend over 3 hours reeling in one of these you are toast. #264

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

all fish as long as you adjust your tackle.never caught a fish i did not like!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've caught alot of big mean fish in my life ranging from offshore, inshore and freshwater.

Nothing beats a smallmouth on a stiff rod!!!:shock:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pound for pound it has to be one of the tuna family.  Tuna hit 40 mph whereas a bonefish only hits 35 mph and none of the other fish mentioned even come close to the bonefish in speed.  But "best fighting fish" is so ambiguous because it doesn't take into account tackle.  All fish fight better on light tackle versus heavier gear.  That said, after the tuna, I would go with freshwater dorado in South America for a warmwater species followed by Atlantic salmon in coldwater.  But tuna overall is my choice.

• Like 1

Bigeye, bluefin on spinning gear, tarpon on spinning gear, or swordfish. Though, pound for pound  few fish fight better than an amberjack (as John said) or a big bluefish. I have never caught a tog, ever....supposedly they machines. 

• Like 1

.lb for .lb would be smallmouth. I am not versed enough to comment on any fish in the salt. 

• Like 1

My favorite freshwater fish is probably a chrome steelhead and in a close second Rainbows in Alaska that are over 25” in big water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

do alligators count? I had a couple drag the entire boat around for an hour before tiring out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1