In discussion today we were talking about what is the best fighting fish. Funny the range of fish we discussed and the relevant tackle used to catch them. Opinions ranged from salmon on fly gear making blistering runs, hybreds peeling line on spinning gear, blues and albies on light surf tackle, tuna, etc. I guess in reality they all fight hard but it’s which one really gets your adrenaline pumping. What would you say is your favorite fighter that gets you going?

Fresh water I would say salmon or steel head on fly or light spin tackle..  in shore blue fish or light tackle albies..  off shore tuna or lb for lb mahi..

• Like 1

I once caught a 55lb King Mackeral in Puerto Rico that gave me my money’s worth - that fish was surprisingly strong!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Fresh water I would say salmon or steel head on fly or light spin tackle..  in shore blue fish or light tackle albies..  off shore tuna or lb for lb mahi..

My best river king was a 32lb fresh run, had me down to around 20yrds of backing twice. I was a younger man then and ran to keep up with him. Today he would have left me with an empty spool. 

• Like 2

If you adjust your tackle to the size of the fish it comes down to stamina. Inshore i would say bluefish which will fight you in your boat after a long struggle. However, there are monster fish offshore with unmatched stamina and unbelievable strength to match. I fought several tunas for an hour or more and can’t really think of anything equal to it. Last bigeye, only 178lb kicked my ass for 45 minutes. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

Cobias!

Good call!! I fought a monster Cobia in Jensen Beach a few years back only to get sharked after 45 minutes. Big Tarpon (125lb +) give anything I’ve caught a run for the money. 

• Like 1

Deep-tuna & shark

Inshore-blues, pound for pound porgies are good fighters

Stream- shad or smallie

• Like 1

Surprised no one has mentioned Roosterfish. I caught a monster on spinning gear and thought my arms were going to explode. Keep em coming guys :up:

• Agree 1

Gator blues  on light tackle or blacktip shark off the surf.  Ive never had harder runs and more acrobatics than catching a 100# blacktips on top water plugs

• Like 1

Freshwater - hybrid striper, with smallmouth close second.    

Saltwater lb for lb - bonefish hands down. 

But then lb for lb many fish in the "jack" family like Jack Crevalle, Horseye, Amberjack definitely roosterfish have that something extra - combination of speed and power.   Can probably toss Permit into that same category but I have only hooked a few big ones that cut me off on wrecks - yet to land one.   

Tuna - in a class of their own the bigger they get the more they beat you up. 

• Like 1