IGNORED

Ordered new shoes for the truck

Swamp_Yankee

Achilles Desert Hawks:

image.png.34064773a3e85e4657a9fcf5a1764cc5.png

305/70/17 which works out to 34 x 12 x 17, which, from what I've read, should be the biggest size that will fit my truck (2012 F-250 4x4 Supercab with snow plow package) without rubbing.  Will hopefully get them put on this weekend-$660 bucks (tax included) for four, free shipping from Wal-Mart.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

3 minutes ago, Live to Hunt said:

Nice I just priced out 4 new Toyo’s for my truck $230 each will get them before winter. 

These are definitely cheap tires, but I don't put a lot of miles on my truck.  I am assigned a 24-hour take home vehicle for my job so I just use the truck on weekends, etc...  I only did 5000 miles my first year of owning it.  They will definitely do better in mud and snow than what I have on there now but my already poor fuel mileage (6.2L gas) will probably get worse :laughing:

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

question - I got a new F-150 twin turbo and came with really nice chrome 18" wheels, and Goodyear Wrangler HT tires.  I looked at the tires on the lot and thought "damn, they look perfect - exactly what I would order..." 

Why? - because they look like the perfect combo tire for road travel and venturing off-road.     I confirmed this already with excellent highway performance (quiet and avg 24 MPG).      I also got into some really slippery deep Delaware river clay mud with my boat trailer in tow, had to back it into river in high water, and had to get back out.   Then do it again in reverse to retrieve the boat.   Put it in 4 - Low and locked the rear diff, and it performed flawlessly not even close to getting stuck and believe me I was concerned it was a deep clay soup. 

More recently, spent a week with these tires and truck driving the loose sandy beaches of Cape Hatteras.   Only went down to 20 lbs and they performed absolutely great and also was able to drive all around the roads for that week at 20lbs without a loss of performance..

My point - Ford knew the perfect tire for that truck...Why change it?     I look at my truck and say - perfect tire on the perfect truck for me, why would I want  (in NJ of all states) a bigger more aggressive tread when reality is I will never ever need it?   They are NOT better in snow, they really aren't needed in sand because just about any tire will float on sand if you let the air out. The only advantage I can see for those big bad ass over-aggressive treads would be in mud... Really deep mud.   How much driving in mud does one do, and does one really actually do this on purpose?  Why would one do this on purpose? Only to have to clean it later?

It's just one of those phenomenons that have escaped me all these years.   That being said, I did take the stock tires off my Can Am quad and replace with Maxis Zillas - because well that did make sense. I haul firewood through swamps and plow in deep snow.   Those tires are badass and outperform the Carlisle badlanders that it came with 10x over.   But a pickup truck, in NJ?

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Ford didn't know the best tire...they knew the tire of the company that would give them the best price on tires for millions of trucks. 

Aftermarket everything is almost always better.  Dealers are always trying to balance performance, cost and keeping their vehicles essentially middle-of-the-road to please the most consumers.   In actuality, there are about a dozen all season highway truck tires that will outperform that goodyear in almost every way