IGNORED

Shotgun round for hornet nest removal?

Swamp_Yankee

59 minutes ago, Joeybeets said:

Garden hose with sprayer on stream right before dark. The water destroyed the whole nest end of problem...

I think that only works on a nice cool night.  If its warm enough for them to be active you'd better believe they will go looking for where the stream of water is coming from.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

My dad used to soak a paper grocery bag (who remembers paper bags?) with gas and leave it standing up in the driveway.  He took a 2nd bag right at dark, placed it over the nest and cut away the branch it was hanging from while quickly closing the paper bag tightly.  Then he just placed the beehive bag into the gas soaked one and lit a match.  That guarantees you kill the queen and the nest won't just get quickly rebuilt.  Plus there's fire, which is a bonus.  :) 

7 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Semi auto 3 quick shoots of 3.5" number 6 shot. You want fare amount of pellets with a good choke so you don't have to be to close. You don't want something with to much kick or it will be hard to get a few shots off on target fast. Shoot fast and run inside for a half hour. Go back with some hornet spray and spray whats left and check now and then to make sure they are not rebuilding it. Keep the kids away for a few days after that. Good luck

That's exactly what I was going to say - biggest 12ga load you can get, with #6 shot.  Full choke.  I would be ready for shots 2 and 3 with a semi-automatic, but I do think if you are the right distance from it so that 100% of the load covers it, that every bee and the next will be obliterated with just one shot.  Too close might leave some of the hive, too far and the shot pattern will be more diluted.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

A better idea would be to host a NJW&W get together... BYOG (Bring your own gun) Serve lots of  beer, and lots of meat starting around 3 hours before dark.  Right before dark, all the members give that hive a 21 gun salute at the count of 1....2....3!!!!   

Problem solved, and it will be a legendary get to together.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

4 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

A better idea would be to host a NJW&W get together... BYOG (Bring your own gun) Serve lots of  beer, and lots of meat starting around 3 hours before dark.  Right before dark, all the members give that hive a 21 gun salute at the count of 1....2....3!!!!   

If this happens, all I have to say is you better post a video of it!!:lol:

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

Just got done wiping down the AK.....Count me in Jack!

1 hour ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

I think that only works on a nice cool night.  If its warm enough for them to be active you'd better believe they will go looking for where the stream of water is coming from.

I'm always look out for them before I stream!:rofl:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

My dad used to soak a paper grocery bag (who remembers paper bags?) with gas and leave it standing up in the driveway.  He took a 2nd bag right at dark, placed it over the nest and cut away the branch it was hanging from while quickly closing the paper bag tightly.  Then he just placed the beehive bag into the gas soaked one and lit a match.  That guarantees you kill the queen and the nest won't just get quickly rebuilt.  Plus there's fire, which is a bonus.  :) 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

9 hours ago, Slayer1962 said:

skeet shot , more pellets to tare those nasty SOB's up. Then pray whats left if you can reach it 

The finer the shot the more pellets.  :up::up:

Just make sure that you know your guns pattern.  You don't want to punch a 2" hole through the middle of the nest and then have 500 pissed off hornets messing you up.  

3 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Whatever you do, please, please, please invite a few people to video it from multiple angles.  Whatever you do is going to be epic!

:agree:

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

This is the video I referenced before.  He shows the shot regular speed and then slow motion.  Winchester #9 Target Load:

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive