IGNORED

I love to fish but...

bucky

fluke fishing is pitiful, went out on a 10 man charter yesterday, managed 6K and 35S, some sea bass and ling. Hopefully my trip to Rhode Island next weekend makes up for the poor fishing down here, if not I will have a lot of fluke fishing tackle for sale come Monday:up:

I must have caught over 40 fluke today, one 22" keeper and dropped something special ( a real head-shaker)  but after a very long slow tug of war right at the turn of the tide, it let go just before we could see it...     Tons of action - just all short.   Spitting up porgies, shrimp, squid they seemed to be very hungry.   (on Buck154's 19' Maycraft with his uncle).  Boat was rarely without a fluke coming over the side today.    So boat had to get damn near 100 fish, but only two 22" keepers to show for it.   We did let go several "NJ keepers" but were honoring NY regs.   Buck154's uncle hooked up another very large fluke moments before I hooked up with the "big one that got away"  on one magical drift right after we finally each got our keeper for the day.     After battling those two big fish, we ran back up to start that drift again but but by that time the tide was ripping and we had to change from 2's and 3's over to 6's and 8's and was very hard to duplicate that same drift again. Before long we were scoping out with 8 ounces.  Still caught more fish and moved around a bit after that but all shorts.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Yeah still very slow. Was out both days of the weekend for fluke tournament with JHBowhunter. We caught decent amount but only kept 7 keepers but did release 8-10 Jersey keepers between the 2 days but we were ran NY and NJ side of the bay so had to stick with the NY regs. I keep thinking it is going to break open but NOT!!

Edited by Buck154

17 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Yeah still very slow. Was out both days of the weekend for fluke tournament with JHBowhunter. We caught decent amount but only kept 7 keepers but did release 8-10 Jersey keepers between the 2 days but we were ran NY and NJ side of the bay so had to stick with the NY regs. I keep thinking it is going to break open but NOT!!

Well you guys certainly put the effort and time in. Long hot days, kudos to you and your crew :up:

AWM

2 hours ago, bucky said:

Nice catch but its a shame you had to run  close to 50 miles on the first day by my estimate to put totals like that together :down:

Yeah it sucked but I was running looking for a big fish but still the numbers sucks for sure. 

Edited by Buck154

1 hour ago, Kype said:

whats the problem? why is fluke fishing declining so much in recent years? anyone know why? is it the same situation for south jersey too. like below LBI or is just around the raritan bay area

For almost 10 years we have only been harvesting female fluke  due to size restrictions.

Can't sustain a fishery doing that .

Also it is set being shown there is a NE movement of this fishery .

Fish are being caught in great numbers in areas they had never been before.

Very little SMALL bait around .

Some areas are starting to see squid so there should be fish soon coming in .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

30 minutes ago, SPEARFISH said:

Glad I stayed home.  Actually I would have gone, but I had stuff I needed to get done.  I know of one guy who got a 12.5 lber over the weekend.

we know of  a 12.7 - won the Raritan Bay tournament.  Probably same fish.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….