BillW0323

Marginal Shot or Terrible Shot?

learn from every shot.  To me, if you don't double lung or heart shoot a deer, you did something wrong. If I don't do that or even if my shot is a little off from where I aimed, I do some deep diving as to what went "wrong". "aim small miss small" is the old adage that never gets old.  It's just that plain and simple.  The kill zone is plenty of big enough, we all just need to recognize our limitations and stay calm under pressure.   (Easier said then done). 

Yeah I have had a few marginal shots and gotten lucky over the past 35 years of bowhunting a few times, but I always always always learn from every shot and am harder on myself than anyone else could ever be.  Hell I double lunged the big buck I shot last year but I know the shot was at least 3-4" higher and further back than I wanted to hit so even though it was an easy recovery, I was still not satisfied with my shot placement.   That was the first buck in my life that ever made me shake before the shot.  I had to hug the tree as he got in range to stop shaking and then wait for him to look away to pick up bow, draw and shoot in one quick motion.  

• Like 2

@kanigie, looks like you hit exactly where you should have been (would be) aiming a mere second before that buck took one step forward right before the shot went off.  You were already at full draw, committed to the shot and probably mid execution when he took that step forward and changed the POI.  Certainly not a marginal shot situation or a terrible shot made, just the conditions of unexpected deer movement lead to it IMO.  Nice buck and congrats on getting him! :up:

1 hour ago, Shootemthenmountem said:

Hey Mike, just wondering....bow or crossbow...following the arrow, I would assume lung but possibly caught the heart?

Bow, long arrow. Crossbow would blow through it. Hit both lungs 

• Like 3

I took a quartering away shot at 20 yards, when I released deer turned hard quartering. Caught the femoral artery 30 yards down dead.

194F370F-0F97-482D-BBA1-213AD6224ED1.jpeg

• Like 2