TouchofGrey

Virginia EZ Pass Toll got me

Was driving to Arlington VA to meet family. I usually go to  Springfield which is a little south. I like 295 and have done that part for many years. Google sent me 495 outer loop as it was closer/quicker. Mid-day rush hour and there is a multi car pile up. Outside of Mclean, Google has me go left at the fork and I'm put on Dynamic Pricing. I was aware of the variable pricing and I followed Google because of the bumper to bumper traffic. I didn't see the price or I missed it. I was wondering why I was doing 70mph when the other 3 right lanes were stopped. The price was 12.75$. Looked at the statement today. Lesson learned. I'll have to be more vigilant. It was good to cruise through traffic, but I'm retired and on my own schedule so the 20-30 minute wait would have been okay. Anyone else have this type of experience? And I can easily see this coming to a roadway in NJ.

It's better than not having EZ Pass when you go through. 

• Agree 1

I had that happen driving home from school this year for the weekend. Followed my GPS forgetting to turn on the avoid tolls setting. The route I was following bypassed the first toll booth when I got on the highway. When I took the exit going through the toll booth the lady asked me for my ticket which I never got because I never went through the first toll per my GPS. She then charged me for the entire length of the highway which was over $10! I don’t have EZ pass and didn’t have any cash on me besides the cup of coins I usually pay the tolls with so I asked if I could pay with a card and she said no cash only. So she gave me a form that I had to mail into the state I had to fill out explaining why I couldn’t pay my toll at the time and put the cash in with it. Such a hassle!!! 

I was just in McLean today.  I think I went 1/2 way through the loop around DC and it cost me $35.  Was worth it because I hate sitting in traffic, and the non-express lanes were basically a parking lot.

7 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I was just in McLean today.  I think I went 1/2 way through the loop around DC and it cost me $35.  Was worth it because I hate sitting in traffic, and the non-express lanes were basically a parking lot.

Yea you where busy anyway 

I guy I work with said that he got a speeding ticket because of EZ Pass.  They can clock your average speed between toll booths.  :pout:

Edited by Rusty

15 hours ago, Tarhunt said:

It's better than not having EZ Pass when you go through. 

I had a short work order in Queens in the 90s, after a week sitting at the Verrazano the guy who swore he never would get EZ Pass got it. I'm use to it now.

9 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

My family have always complained of traffic down there. I'm used to NYC commuting. I think the commuting is way worse down there. They are more dependent on the Metro, but that system is worse than NJT.

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I guy I work with said that he got a speeding ticket because of EZ Pass.  They can clock your average speed between toll booths.  :pout:

I believe it. You can bet that there will be more tolling put on more roadways with more ways to fine drivers with the advancing technology. 

The funny thing is. I really like taking Amtrak to DC.We go down several times a year. On sale we used to get roundtrip for about 100$ PP. But that fare went away several years ago. Weekend rates are over 150$. For me tolls are around 30$ round trip, if I don't screw up. A tank and a half of gas about 45$. And 4 to 4.5 hrs to drive with 2 stops. It's cost effective for us to drive.

3 hours ago, TouchofGrey said:

My family have always complained of traffic down there. I'm used to NYC commuting. I think the commuting is way worse down there. They are more dependent on the Metro, but that system is worse than NJT.

It is worse.  I commute into NYC every Tuesday AM to teach at Fordham.  90 minutes, and the only traffic is at the river crossings because they are a funnel for the traffic.

In DC it's far worse.  I've tried to leave Tysons Corner at 11AM only to find 495 is bumper to bumper.  That road is just a giant parking lot no matter what time of the day it is.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, TouchofGrey said:

Was driving to Arlington VA to meet family. I usually go to  Springfield which is a little south. I like 295 and have done that part for many years. Google sent me 495 outer loop as it was closer/quicker. Mid-day rush hour and there is a multi car pile up. Outside of Mclean, Google has me go left at the fork and I'm put on Dynamic Pricing. I was aware of the variable pricing and I followed Google because of the bumper to bumper traffic. I didn't see the price or I missed it. I was wondering why I was doing 70mph when the other 3 right lanes were stopped. The price was 12.75$. Looked at the statement today. Lesson learned. I'll have to be more vigilant. It was good to cruise through traffic, but I'm retired and on my own schedule so the 20-30 minute wait would have been okay. Anyone else have this type of experience? And I can easily see this coming to a roadway in NJ.

This already happens in NJ and all states with some form of Easy Pass system.  I drove my mother's husband's car down and back to Florida for them this winter and drove through every Easy Pass without a working Easy Pass toll thingy.  Sure enough, my Mom's husband got a bunch of tolls in the mail he had to pay.  :) 

• Haha 2
  • Winner 1

I went on a fishing trip last month.I knew I was going to take the Garden State Parkway so I had enough change ready for me to pay any tolls. I had to go into Perth Amboy which I'm not very familiar with.I was using my phone with Google Maps and they said exit here.No exact chang only EZ Pass. I just had to drive through, sure enough a week later I got a notice to pay $51.50 well when Monday came I called them up expecting the worst well I got the sweetheart of a lady to pick up the phone immediately I explained the situation she left she was so cordial,so very nice.She waived the fine, said just pay the dollar fifty.I gave HER my debit card number done deal!

Edited by hunterbob1
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

I went on a fishing trip last month.I knew I was going to take the Garden State Parkway so I had enough change ready for me to pay any tolls. I had to go into Perth Amboy which I'm not very familiar with.I was using my phone with Google Maps and they said exit here.No exact chang only EZ Pass. I just had to drive through, sure enough a week later I got a notice to pay $51.50 well when Monday came I called them up expecting the worst well I got the sweetheart of a lady to pick up the phone immediately I explained the situation she left she was so cordial,so very nice.She waived the fine, said just pay the dollar fifty.I gave him my debit card number done deal!

You were talking to a lady who turned into a dude?  And gave her/him your debit card?  Was his/her name Peggy by chance?

• Haha 2

I understand that if you have a P/U and drive with tailgate down with EZ pass in the wrapper, you can zip thru tolls and it doesn't scan.  Don't ask how I know, Heard it on the web. You know the web don't lie!!!!! LOL.

Wait.. what? dynamic pricing? First I heard of it. What is this? Based on what lane you are in, you get charged more?

I was just down in  DC a few months ago - I remember seeing some toll lanes but it was not rush hour so the gates were down. I used to live in  Sterling, VA 25 years or so ago - those were HOV lanes back in the day. But now they charge you extra? Geez... back then the only toll road was The  Toll Road (between I think  McLean and Leesburg? I think its Rt 66, can't remember).

Anyway... yeah, traffic sucks down there. Just picture having to commute 5-days a week from Sterling to Arlington where the ONLY main road back then was Rt. 7 (I think there STILL isn't any more good highways between those two points).