Jump to content
smittty

Anyone here use the tree wingman decent system

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I have one but have not used it yet. Do you guys use it as a climbing safety line as well, or just once you reach hunting height you deploy it? 

It depends on the type of stand you're using.  If you're in a hang on stand with a ladder/steps you can connect the TSWingman to your lifeline during the climb.  Then you need to unhook it and wrap it around the tree once you get into your stand.  If you're using a climber you can and should use it while climbing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I have one but have not used it yet. Do you guys use it as a climbing safety line as well, or just once you reach hunting height you deploy it? 

Yes you can use it with a life line as well  and ladder stand. They have videos on all applications 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, barrike said:

It depends on the type of stand you're using.  If you're in a hang on stand with a ladder/steps you can connect the TSWingman to your lifeline during the climb.  Then you need to unhook it and wrap it around the tree once you get into your stand.  If you're using a climber you can and should use it while climbing.

If your  useing it with steps or a ladder stand that already hss life line you just slide it up the line as you go up and that's it no reason to reconnect 

Edited by smittty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at it and it was interesting. What made me not buy it was bulkiness and the fact there is a line hanging from the top all the way down to the ground = additional movement and scent.

However, its good to be safe so thumbs up for getting and using  it.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, smittty said:

If your  useing it with steps or a ladder stand that already hss life line you just slide it up the line as you go up and that's it no reason to reconnect 

Do you use your climbing lifeline while in your stand as well?  If you do, then you are right.  There is no need to reconnect.   I disconnect from the lifeline and wrap the TSWingman or a use safety rope that I pack in while on stand.   I don't trust that the squirrels, sun, rain, ice etc. haven't significantly weakened my lifeline during the course of a 5 month hunting season. 

Edited by barrike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I looked at it and it was interesting. What made me not buy it was bulkiness and the fact there is a line hanging from the top all the way down to the ground = additional movement and scent.

However, its good to be safe so thumbs up for getting and using  it.

Just want to add that it does come with a small bag with a strap that you can connect to your vest or belt that you keep the slack in or i seen a video where the guy just put it in his pocket. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use mine as a go between the safety vest and the rope and pussic knot.

If in a climber i wrap my normal safety rope around the tree and fasten to that, advancing as I climb. That way you never have to adjust the length of strap to go around the tree.

In the pic I posted you can see it is fastened to a branch, that keeps you away from the tree and any climbing sticks or steps.

As far as the strap hanging down, I keep the strap rolled up and in my safety systems vest pocket. That way it is not a scent wick or fluttering in the breeze, but the main reason is so I don't have to roll the strap back up when done hunting. In the event of a fall the strap would likely fall from the vest pocket and unroll itself, if not , all is still ok cause the slight tention would stop your fall.

If the descender is set right you can stop the descent by grabbing the strap. I've done it pinching the strap between my thumb and forefingee !

This little device is a well engineered life saver.

About 15 years ago, a friend's strap broke on his lock on. It pitched him forward and out of the stand. His safety strap and belt pulled him back into the now collapsed stand and held his upper torso against edge of it.

He instantly reached for his knife so he could cut the strap, he was in so much pain. So he got banged up from the jolt and had to cut loose and fall to the ground anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gobblergetter said:

In the pic I posted you can see it is fastened to a branch, that keeps you away from the tree and any climbing sticks or steps.

A

 

For all the work you go through to be safe you use a branch, instead of the trunk of the tree. Any branch can break off and the one in your picture does not look like it would even hold you. Just saying:happywave:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...