IGNORED

Anyone here use the tree wingman decent system

2 hours ago, gobblergetter said:

I hooked mine up in a backyard tree and stepped off the third rung of a ladder. Then the fifth, then higher, and higher.... Worked flawless and I could stop my fall with a two finger pinch on the strap ! I was impressed

I am not sure if it the same system, but a guy at one of the hunting shows (Harrisburg) used to purposely fall off of the stand using this system for demonstration purposes.... Over the course of the show he counted each fall and I think it was in the hundreds, perhaps more.....

6 hours ago, LPJR said:

I am not sure if it the same system, but a guy at one of the hunting shows (Harrisburg) used to purposely fall off of the stand using this system for demonstration purposes.... Over the course of the show he counted each fall and I think it was in the hundreds, perhaps more.....

Yep....  That's the system, I bought mine at the Harrisburg show. 

Here's a link to some videos

https://treestandwingman.com/videos

I have one.  I highly recommend it.  However, I typically use it at the beginning of the season only.  Then I stop using it after a few weeks.   I'm a little tentative with heights, but after a few climbs I get confident/complacent.  I also just get tired of the whole process involved with using it.  It only takes an extra few minutes to set up and take down and roll up, but unfortunately I get lazy.  I feel that the lifeline and safety rope are enough.  If I fall out, I'll just climb down the ladder if I'm in one of my hang ons.  The reason I bought it in the first place is because I had 2 incidents with 2 different climbers 5 years ago.  I was stranded 20' up a tree sitting on the climbing(top) section of the stand both times.  The platform cable broke one time.  The platform cable pin came out another.  At the time I was way too confident in the climber.   I didn't climb with a safety rope attached.  I just attached the rope after completing the climb.  I also didn't know how to self extract.  I don't use a climber very much anymore.  I'm still a little gun shy.  However, when I do  use a climber I always attach a safety rope when climbing now.  I have also practiced self extraction.  I recommend doing this to all who use climbers...or buy a Treestand Wingman.  I was extremely lucky...twice.  Dumb sh!t can happen at anytime to anyone...especially at 5am in the woods.  

Edited by barrike

3 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I have one but have not used it yet. Do you guys use it as a climbing safety line as well, or just once you reach hunting height you deploy it? 

I think its mainly designed to use with a climber to replace your tether.  So, you cinch it around the tree and move up as you climb.  With sticks, if you are placing them as you climb, you can do the same.  For my pre-set hang ons (with sticks already set), I would hook it into my safety line while I went up.  If you don't have a pre-set safety line, then you just use when you get to hunting height.  

That said, I don't use a climber much anymore and so I really stopped using this due to bulk.  I figure if I'm hanging from harness with sticks I should be able to get back to them.  I know there are times you can't....I have some other fail safes if that's the case....