2 hours ago, Slayer1962 said:

nice pictures and good luck with your hobby 

I had way too many interests in my life and they all ran hot then cold or cool. 3 things I never lost passion for  is hunting, playing ice hockey and photography. 

Thanks 

Nice lunatic!   I've been wanting to get a new canon.  Did you look at the 7D mackII?   I always had problems with my 7D not wanting to focus on something.  Didn't matter what lens was on it, so I think it has to be the camera that's slow.  My daughter takes 10 shots with her nikon before my 7D lets me shoot.  Doesn't want to focus at all in low light and low contrasts.  Been wanting to change brand, but have too much invested in canon.lenses.

32 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Nice lunatic!   I've been wanting to get a new canon.  Did you look at the 7D mackII?   I always had problems with my 7D not wanting to focus on something.  Didn't matter what lens was on it, so I think it has to be the camera that's slow.  My daughter takes 10 shots with her nikon before my 7D lets me shoot.  Doesn't want to focus at all in low light and low contrasts.  Been wanting to change brand, but have too much invested in canon.lenses.

That’s weird because all my canons, from 20d to 80d with everything in between was lightening quick. 

I try to stay low cost on the body because I destroy them quickly. 7D is nice but little more money.

thanks 

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

That’s weird because all my canons, from 20d to 80d with everything in between was lightening quick. 

I try to stay low cost on the body because I destroy them quickly. 7D is nice but little more money.

thanks 

Good to know.  Maybe I just got a lemon.  Is there a store in NJ that sells top of the line cameras?  I won't go into NY city, and don't want the cost to be on our credit card if I order from B&H.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Good to know.  Maybe I just got a lemon.  Is there a store in NJ that sells top of the line cameras?  I won't go into NY city, and don't want the cost to be on our credit card if I order from B&H.

Well, as I’m thinking about your problem, the auto focus is a function of the lens, not camera. I use o e single lens for wildlife and it’s the 100-400 mm IS. This thing is a rocket ship when it comes to speed and it worked the same way on d20, d40, d50 and d80. Without knowing what lenses you have I’m inclined to believe it is your lenses, not the camera. I don’t know where you live but you are welcome to put my lens on your camera or your lens on mine to see for sure what is the problem 

btw I don’t know of any store although I did see a billboard for a cam store in Red Bank. I love buying on line. You get best prices, risk free, and as you buy you get points on your card which end up being free merchandise. 

Edited by Lunatic

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Well, as I’m thinking about your problem, the auto focus is a function of the lens, not camera. I use o e single lens for wildlife and it’s the 100-400 mm IS. This thing is a rocket ship when it comes to speed and it worked the same way on d20, d40, d50 and d80. Without knowing what lenses you have I’m inclined to believe it is your lenses, not the camera. I don’t know where you live but you are welcome to put my lens on your camera or your lens on mine to see for sure what is the problem 

Thanks.  I'm too far north to try that.  I have all L lenses, 24-70mm, 100mm, 300mm, and even had the 300 repaired.   Can't remember if I have a kit lens or if I just ordered a body.  Will have to look for it and try that one if I do have it.  If all the lenses are crap. I'll be buying another brand.

I put starlight filters on all of them.  Wonder if that makes a difference

Edited by Greybeard

2 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Thanks.  I'm too far north to try that.  I have all L lenses, 24-70mm, 100mm, 300mm, and even had the 300 repaired.   Can't remember if I have a kit lens or if I just ordered a body.  Will have to look for it and try that one if I do have it.  If all the lenses are crap. I'll be buying another brand.

What brand are your lenses?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

What brand are your lenses?

Canon.  It's their best lenses.  I edited last post to add that I have clear filters on all of them.  Will have to see if taking them off will help.

Edited by Greybeard

10 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Canon.  It's their best lenses.  I edited last post to add that I have clear filters on all of them.  Will have to see if taking them off will help.

Well then I’m not sure what is going on. The 300 you have is a great lens and it should work. That lens should be great in low light so I’m not sure why you have the problems you do in low light? I also had clear filter on my lens and it made no difference. You need to get your lenses on another camera to see what happens before you start buying. Did you try calling cannon. I never did but I’m assuming they have good technical support on their products. 

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Well then I’m not sure what is going on. The 300 you have is a great lens and it should work. That lens should be great in low light so I’m not sure why you have the problems you do in low light? I also had clear filter on my lens and it made no difference. You need to get your lenses on another camera to see what happens before you start buying. Did you try calling cannon. I never did but I’m assuming they have good technical support on their products. 

I took the 300 to canon down in central jersey to have the focusing mechanism replaced because it was making a belt slipping noise.  Didn't like the cs at all, and it made no difference in the way the camera focuses.  The 100 jumps back and forth.  Goes into focus, then backs out. A lot of times I leave it in manual.  I miss a lot of shots even with the 24-70 because it takes so long to focus, and get too many pics out of focus.   Going to stick it out until I can't take it anymore.  Would really like it if there was a store close by where I could try before buying.  I'm not going into the city.

6 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I took the 300 to canon down in central jersey to have the focusing mechanism replaced because it was making a belt slipping noise.  Didn't like the cs at all, and it made no difference in the way the camera focuses.  The 100 jumps back and forth.  Goes into focus, then backs out. A lot of times I leave it in manual.  I miss a lot of shots even with the 24-70 because it takes so long to focus, and get too many pics out of focus.   Going to stick it out until I can't take it anymore.  Would really like it if there was a store close by where I could try before buying.  I'm not going into the city.

There is something very wrong. My camera with the 100-400 lens locks on a moving subject in a fraction of a second and stays on it as I follow through. Never, ever I have a problem instantly focusing on a stationary subject unless something gets in the way. Something is broken and I  guess since you have this problem with all lenses then the camera maybe a suspect.