2023 NJW&W Christmas Dinner at Pub199 on December 15th! Click here for more info and to RSVP! ×
IGNORED

New pup!

Sure she’s not a German wire hair with a mix of short hair? Haha the beard is looking good already. Who had the “oh shit” breeding? Are both parents hunters?

training starts the second the dog comes home. Bonding with the pup is most important thing but obedience is a must. It’s the foundation for all else. Training yourself is most rewarding/stressful experience. I’ve done it 3 times now. Highly recommend you connect with NAVHDA and/or someone who can get you birds. Birds make a bird dog.   Feel free to PM me with any questions

what do you plan on doing with the dog? Upland or waterfowl or small game or all of the above? 

Edited by Hawkeye57

34 minutes ago, smittty said:

Where you located I would be willing to give you a hand. And trust me when his finished you'll be so proud of your work 

I am in hunterdon county.  Any help would be welcome and appreciated. 

16 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Sure she’s not a German wire hair with a mix of short hair? Haha the beard is looking good already. Who had the “oh shit” breeding? Are both parents hunters?

training starts the second the dog comes home. Bonding with the pup is most important thing but obedience is a must. It’s the foundation for all else. Training yourself is most rewarding/stressful experience. I’ve done it 3 times now. Highly recommend you connect with NAVHDA and/or someone who can get you birds. Birds make a bird dog.   Feel free to PM me with any questions

what do you plan on doing with the dog? Upland or waterfowl or small game or all of the above? 

Thank you for the advice. I will be primarily upland bird hunting. She is coming from outback Kennels in Kansas. Yes both parents are hunters. 

1 minute ago, smittty said:

Yea just pm me I can even let you have a peigoin coop I have one dog left and would just reather help others cause i do love working with  dogs

Thank you! I will be in touch when she gets home.

Couple suggestions....

First and foremost make good friends with your new pup.  A dog that likes you will want to stay with you and even if it ranges out, will come back for you.

As far as training, the dog needs to learn to come to you, on command...on the double.  It also needs to stop and stand, again on command. 

Do not be in a rush.  Do the obedience stuff first and do not be satisfied until the dog's response is instant and automatic.  There are waaay too many roads in NJ and cars and dogs simply do not mix. 

With the kind of breeding you have, the dog will hunt, and probably hunt just fine,  so don't get in a hurry to get into birds and such.   I actually do not show my dogs any birds at all until they are six to nine months old.   I am of the opinion that it is best to install the steering and brakes before you take the car on to the racetrack.  Less wrecks that way.

I do the heel/whoa drills after the manner of Paul Long, to instill the stopping and standing,  but I use a version of the Smith Wonder lead instead of the looped checkcord.  I start doing heel/whoa drills when the pup is about 16 weeks old.   Five minutes morning and evening.  Eventually the heel/whoa sessions are about 10 minutes long, again twice a day.

A really good book for you would be Paul Long's "Training Pointing Dogs" and another really good one with a somewhat different methodology is "Training with MO" by Martha Greenlee.

Both are very easy reads and chock full of proven techniques to train a pointing dog. 

Wish I was closer.  There is a lot I could show you.  It is one thing to read about it or see a video, but actually putting your hands on a dog is the best way to learn.  

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. 

RayG

Edited by birddogger

1 hour ago, Bearhunter said:

Thank you for the advice. I will be primarily upland bird hunting. She is coming from outback Kennels in Kansas. Yes both parents are hunters. 

If upland is your goal- you got the dog to do it! All about bringing out natural drive. The pup will do the rest.