IGNORED

outboard motor ?

ratherbhunting

I just bought a used boat with a Yamaha 9.9  4 stroke outboard motor (I have never owned an outboard before so they are new to me).  

I primed the fuel system got underway and it stalled out (after about 1 minute)  and would not start until I primed it again, it restarted got underway and again stalled out in about another minute. I repeated this process 8 or 9 times and had the same results. If I ran it and primed the bulb every 30 seconds it would continue to run (I ran it for 7 or 8 minutes like this) when I stopped priming it, it stalled out again.

So my question is does anyone think it is the fuel pump or is it something else (primer bulb, water separator...…..?)

Any help would be appreciated or point me towards someone that does outboard repairs near Readington township in Hunterdon County. 

Thank you for your help in advance. 

Did the motor run when you bought it? It sounds like you might have an ethanol fuel issue with either the ball and the hose or at the jets on the injectors being  clogged.

Make sure all of the hose fittings at the tank and the motor are tight and not sucking air. That can also be an issue

Edited by _X7

I just went through this a few days ago with my 9.9 Mercury. It turns out that the carb float was stuck and it prevented the fuel from getting into the carb. I cleaned it out and it runs great. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

51 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

If the primer ball is losing prime it is probably bad or the hose is bad. First thing I would do is replace the the hose and primer ball. I have had the problem before.

Agree replace the ball and hose, also pick up some Yamaha Ring Free fuel additive. The jets/orifices on yamaha 9.9 are super small and ethanol wreeks havoc on them. Add ring free snd you never have fuel issues. 

AWM

Thank you to everyone for your help.  I had planned on checking on the "easy stuff first" (vents, hose, bulb) Where can I pick up" Yamaha Ring Free fuel additive" near Readington Township in Hunterdon County.

I also was thinking about putting "Mechanic in a Bottle" through the fuel system, as I have used it before in other small engines ( weed wackers, leaf blowers and lawn mowers) with good results. 

Again thank you for your help.

Thank you to all for your input and info. I just picked up a new ball and hose, and also picked up some Yamaha Ring Free fuel additive. I just drained the fuel tank and will be putting that into my Suburbans 42 gallon tank a little at a time, and start with some new fuel for the boat, tomorrow I will be getting a new water separator and maybe a rebuild kit for the fuel pump, I also picked up some mechanic in a bottle and I will be running some of that through the system.   

Any other input is appreciated. 

Again thank you to all 

thanks to all for your info, I got a new bulb, hose, and connector put one end into "mechanic in a bottle" , it started and ran and then stalled out. when it stalled there was no fuel in the fuel filter. I have a new fuel pump and new gaskets for the carburetor on order, so that will be my next step. 

Again thank you for all of your help