IGNORED

anyone ever have the ford caliper issue

mike033089

running into some issues with my F250 and the calipers seizing.  seems to be a common problem from what ive searched but havnt come across any guaranteed fixes.  my trucks a 2008 f250 fx4 with 107k miles on it.  3 set of calipers/pads/rotors up front in 3 years.  recently as a week ago after the new set they locked up again and almost steered me off the road.  anyone have this issue and finally solved it?  thinking the next time im done with it and trading it in.  

Replaced all of mine with Napa calipers and brackets.  Problems solved.  Had problems with the rear float pins seizing in the brackets before every 35 mile brake change, and with pistons seizing on all of the calipers.  I did mine as they went, but I should have just done them all and put new aftermarket rotors on too when I did the first brake change.  Ford rotors rusted from the inside out causing lumps on the surface.  Pulling over on the highway to remove and wire up a caliper isn't fun.

Edited by Greybeard

i normally do them myself when i can but after the last time it was such a scary experience getting yanked across the road in town i pulled right into the shop vs making it home.  im 99% sure they are the napa stuff on there now as of 2 weeks ago. and starting to seize already :down:  so its back at the shop as they will warranty their work and hopefully they have good news come tomorrow

My son had bought a new explorer, and both rear calipers were frozen at 5000 miles.  The entire rear calipers were rusted as if 10 years old while the front looked brand new.  Made me wonder if the dealer had taken the new ones off to do a repair on a car that was out of warranty, saving himself the cost of the parts, and put the frozen set on the new car figuring he'd get another job replacing them under warranty.

5 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

i normally do them myself when i can but after the last time it was such a scary experience getting yanked across the road in town i pulled right into the shop vs making it home.  im 99% sure they are the napa stuff on there now as of 2 weeks ago. and starting to seize already :down:  so its back at the shop as they will warranty their work and hopefully they have good news come tomorrow

Like 416 said, sounds like another issue.

Never had a issue with ford but my jeep likes calibers in the front.  I always do the hoses at the same time though.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

• 2 weeks later...

Front brakes/calipers changed and the back ebrake was rusted and slightly engaging. Steering problem on getting stuck on some turns has still happened.  Was under the truck last night and think I found the problem a front axle u joint.  With my truck running and wheel straight I can reach and turn both I joints by hand. However with wheels turned either way the passenger side front u joint will not turn by hand while the drivers does.  I tried on my buddies 250 and his turn both by hand regardless which direction the wheels are. I’m leaning towards that has to be affecting something with wheels turned. 

4 hours ago, mike033089 said:

Front brakes/calipers changed and the back ebrake was rusted and slightly engaging. Steering problem on getting stuck on some turns has still happened.  Was under the truck last night and think I found the problem a front axle u joint.  With my truck running and wheel straight I can reach and turn both I joints by hand. However with wheels turned either way the passenger side front u joint will not turn by hand while the drivers does.  I tried on my buddies 250 and his turn both by hand regardless which direction the wheels are. I’m leaning towards that has to be affecting something with wheels turned. 

One half of your ujoint is seized. It's a very common problem. When the axle stops turning with the seized axis on the ujoint somewhat perpendicular to the ground the steering won't return on it's own.

Edited by Woodsman416

7 hours ago, mike033089 said:

3 hours ago, Woodsman416 said:

One half of your ujoint is seized. It's a very common problem. When the axle stops turning with the seized axis on the ujoint somewhat perpendicular to the ground the steering won't return on it's own.

Had the same thing happen to my f/250.  Another thing that may happen is you'll get a rumbling toward the back, usually with an added load at first, when the carrier bearing on the driveshaft goes. The e brakes had a problem with a hole getting elongated on the part that spreads the shoes out.