LPJR

Smoker question ** Finished Pork/pics**

Posted (edited)

Doing the 2nd run of the electric smoker with a Hatfield picnic shoulder roast (boneless) today. Trying both apple and hickory wood chunks (instead of chips like last time) blended together as suggested by HH. Looking to get it right as 2 will be going in next Saturday at the get together. 

At what point do you wrap the roast in foil? Internal temp showing now at 120 degrees (@ 4 hours later) and it has been going since 6am. 

thumbnail_Resized_20190707_065331_841.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20190707_102653_5907.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20190707_102938_271.jpg

Edited by LPJR
  • Like 5

meat will stop taking on the smoke flavor at 140 degrees. I usually wait til it stalls or barely starts going up in temp and wrap it.  That being said I rarely wrap also. hope this helps

• Like 2

Hi Lou , once you achieve the bark you disire I’d wrap , it’ll definitely keep it moist and will decrease cook time . I did a boneless shoulder yesterday and it took every bit of 12 hours without wrapping but I’m on an electric smoker. Brought it to an internal temp on 192 and it melted perfectly. I also spray with Apple Cider and Apple Juice to keep outside moist. I use Apple wood chunks. 

• Like 1

I also don't wrap, but your going to hit the stall. I believe that's where you wrap and add liquid. I spritz with a combination of a liquor, fruit juice, or soda. I take it to 203 degrees, to me that's the sweet spot for pulled pork. Cheers

• Like 1

I don't wrap either, it can make the bark wet and soggy. The only real benefit is it reduces cook time. If you are smoking at anywhere from 225 to 250, a pork shoulder should not dry out. I also take the IT to 203. It will take a few more hours to get there from 190, but it's worth it. All that connective tissue just melts away in that last few hours from 190 to 203. This is for a pork butt or shoulder, not that boned and netted hatfield you have. I have never done one of those on the smoker. I usually try to get a 9+ lb shoulder or butt.

• Like 2

I wrap at 160f and cook till 198-200f then put in cooler to rest at least 1 hour

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I actually never wrap.  I'm not a huge fan of aluminum directly on my food.  That being said, if you have to wrap, you can wrap in parchment paper first and then foil.

Good call on the mix.  Apple or cherry adds some nice flavor and sweet notes when mixed with hickory or mesquite.  

If you're concerned about moisture,  you can always use a water pan...which I'd definitely recommend with big cuts of pork or beef

• Like 1

If your looking for tips or recipes on smoking looking up Malcom Reed.  How to BBQ right on youtube.   Guy has some good stuff.    My favorite is the party wings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Franklin’s BBQ, he shows the way and how on smoking meat.  Look him up on YouTube 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All good tips. This is definitely a love or hate detail and process....I actually think I am liking the process when I realize that low and slow is the key..........

After talking to the Pit master HH today, I wrapped it in foil when it stalled at 160 degrees...Going to let it go until it hits 195 IT then rest it in a styrofoam cooler I picked up earlier. Will post pics when finished.....

2 hours ago, LPJR said:

All good tips. This is definitely a love or hate detail and process....I actually think I am liking the process when I realize that low and slow is the key..........

After talking to the Pit master HH today, I wrapped it in foil when it stalled at 160 degrees...Going to let it go until it hits 195 IT then rest it in a styrofoam cooler I picked up earlier. Will post pics when finished.....

Just so everyone is aware I am the true Pit master!  HH is second in line on this title. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Rutting Buck said:

Just so everyone is aware I am the true Pit master!  HH is second in line on this title. 

Game on!  :) 

Nothing better than a good BBQ contest to settle this.  Would make an awesome annual thing; NJW&W BBQ Pit Master contest!

• Winner 1

Took it out after almost 11 hours smoking it low and sloooooowwwwwwwwww...........

I then put it into a styrofoam cooler to rest for 45 minutes because I could not take the awesome smell any longer.

It literally pulled apart with my fingers, and was out of this world. The kids loved it. The combined apple and hickory wood chunks worked well and the smoke flavor was unreal...

Going to smoke 2 of these for next Saturday, love this pork rub and will stick with it. (Only one I have used doing this twice so far)

Appreciate all the tips on W&W, looks like lots of members know this game very well! :up:

thumbnail_Resized_20190707_180732_5273.jpg

thumbnail_PART_1562538455378_Resized_20190707_182717_4491.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20190707_180623_3634.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20190707_201258_3583.jpg

• Like 7
  • Winner 3