FishNHard

Outboard Motors

The good ol etec 25 back in the shop for the last time , Time to  replace this pile of junk I know a lot of folks swear by Yamaha but do any of you have thoughts on honda outboards ? I know a majority of you guys with boat have 150 and up . 

I've had a 60 Mercury 2 stroke with the oil injection on my tin boat since 2005.  Have never done anything to it, except change the lower unit oil every fall.  Just my two cents.

Thanks nomad , I bought this motor new in 2011 its been in the shop 1-2 times every year since I got it 4 back oil tanks and lines 2 vst and now most likely another vst which are over $500 , I bet there's not 300 hrs on it , but then again had to put on hrs when it lives back at the dealer LOL

Posted (edited)

I probably only have about 300 on mine in 14 years, but it still runs great with no repairs yet.  Hear only good things about Honda also.

Edited by Nomad

South harbor marine in Waretown carry both Yamaha and Honda . just trying to get an idea of which way to go .

I'm a Merc guy, but can't go wrong w a Honda. No experience w Yamaha

Posted (edited)

IMO....Yamaha then Merc .( I always been a yami guy but the new mercurys are really nice also) Heard good things about the Honda but not many places around services them which is probably your biggest issue.  The E-Tech's heard nothing good about them, there is a reason why there are so many e-techs thrown in a pile behind the marine police station.

Edited by Cousin Brown

My buddy has a  30 etec that he always has problems with also. My brother has a 25 Yamaha and that motor just keeps running. Its big, but simple.  I know Honda isn't cheap. 

Any motor can be subject to fail.  Some more than others. I know of two Etec 60/40 jets that had issues. both were replaced by Evinrude without explanation.

I've had problems with my 20 year old 60/45 Mercury. Rebuilt the power head and its good to go.

Thanks I am leaning towards the Yamaha more and more ,  the one thing I did like on my etec was the power trim and tilt have to see if the Yamaha 25  comes with the option.

Mercury makes great small motors ..

Def been very reliable in many different boats I have had .

as said try and buy a motor that you can take to  a few places .

not many Honda dealers around , and they usually are heavier than the competing motors of the same size

10 hours ago, FishNHard said:

Thanks I am leaning towards the Yamaha more and more ,  the one thing I did like on my etec was the power trim and tilt have to see if the Yamaha 25  comes with the option.

I have always had Johnson as my dad liked them. Had some old one run great but like you said the new one are problem. I had a Mercury 40hp that was great but only a pull start, strong motor. I just got my first Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke 2003. Can only say I have heard great things about them. Only used mine once so far. They do make them with power trim too. Honda heard are great but like others said few places to work on them if needed. Good luck

I hear the Honda are good, but never had one.  My son's friend has a 250 that he loves.

I have a 9.9, 50, and 225 Merc.  All have been good to me.

• Like 1