IGNORED

New lawn... help needed

MeatEater

A couple of weeks ago, I laid down about two inches of top soil on my yard and planted grass seeds. The new grass started growing but along with it, I started getting this fast growing grass which got taller than the planted seeds. By the way, I used Scott's northeast mix grass seeds.

I don't suppose I can use any weed killer on the new grass.  Is that crab grass growing rapidly? Any suggestions how to deal with this?

Thanks.

grass.thumb.jpg.7389c92ae3107edb7189f2a34ee044f2.jpg

It's seeds were probably in the topsoil that you laid down and mixed in with the rest of the seed. I pull that stuff as soon as I see it. It spreads quick

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

nutsedge it is..go online buy q4 .its expensive but kills everything including crabgrass, this time of year 2 1/2 ozs a gallon of water and a squirt of dish soap to help it stick. spend the $$$ but you will have the gallon for a while.also knocks the shit out of poison ivy.

1 minute ago, hunt1940 said:

nutsedge it is..go online buy q4 .its expensive but kills everything including crabgrass, this time of year 2 1/2 ozs a gallon of water and a squirt of dish soap to help it stick. spend the $$$ but you will have the gallon for a while.also knocks the shit out of poison ivy.

Doesn't kill the desirable grass?

Just now, BowhunterNJ said:

Doesn't kill the desirable grass?

no... i go threw 5 gallons a year (own a landscape company)  spray it in beds ,lawn etc. on laws just try not to do it 90 or hotter may burn the lawn a little, but works great

Nutsedge is a pain in the ass to get rid of.  And once it's gone, you have to reseed the area.

Couple of helpful hints:

1. Seed in the fall.  I usually seed after Labor Day weekend.  Grass seed will germinate and grow in the fall as long as the soil temp is above 50°F.  Weed seeds do not germinate in the fall, so you get a head start for the spring.
  2. Use Milorganite (https://www.milorganite.com) to fertilize.  It's not cheap, but it's organic and won't burn your lawn.  You can use it at the same time as other fertilizer.  It will not harm waterways and other sensitive areas.  You can use it on any other plants too.
  3. In the spring put down fertilizer with weed block.  This prevents weed seeds from germinating.  Your lawn will be weed-free and green as heck.
  4. Cut the grass high.  I usually cut no lower than 3.5"-4".  Tall grass keeps the soil moist and prevents weeds from becoming established.  Plus, when you cut your lawn, you'll have those classic "lines" on your lawn from the mower wheels.  Gives you bragging rights and makes the neighbors jealous.  All it takes is tall grass.

Good luck, and post some photos for us old guys who do nothing except take care of our lawns.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.