_X7

Keep Out! LAKE HOPATCONG CLOSURE

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

Oh please, I had to hole up in an Irish bar downtown in this heat for 2 hours while the PATH was completely closed due to an air compressor failure. Didn't get home until 8:30 PM. Thank god the drinks were cold and the AC worked! 

:rofl::rofl::drinking:

22 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Yeah me and the other mods are having a private meeting to determine your fate.   We may have to issue you a warning point, but temporary ban is in play and worst case - lifetime ban.   

We will let you know - but please be a little more mindful of other member's posts in the future. 

I'll take 5 lashes for not making my post obvious to the topic at hand. I beg forgiveness.....

• Haha 1

I had my first and last experience there 40+ years ago!...Took my wife to be for a nice paddle in the old town at daybreak. Soon later,30 ft+ motoring past at 30 knots.Back to topic.Nothing new!All the lawn fertilizers.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, _X7 said:

I'll take 5 lashes for not making my post obvious to the topic at hand. I beg forgiveness.....

Mike we believe in respecting our elders, so in this case it's all on 3-Blade.   Please pray for his fate. 

• Haha 2

Wonder how much of this bloom was caused because of the water quality due to all the Weldon silt running in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Wonder how much of this bloom was caused because of the water quality due to all the Weldon silt running in.

Wonder how much is caused by leech fields seeping due to saturated ground from these rains

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Wonder how much is caused by leech fields seeping due to saturated ground from these rains

It’s sewers there no leech fields. 

• Disagree 1

About half the lake is on sewers and the other half is on septics. The problem with the septic systems is that they were designed for weekend use in the summer only. Now they are used year-round by families living there and not just vacationing there. Only Roxbury and part of Hopatcong are on sewers. Jefferson and the remainder of Hopatcong are on septic systems. I don’t remember where Mount Arlington falls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I should add that not only are the septics over worked, they are on tiny lots without large enough leach fields. Each system just cascades down the hill into the next and ultimately into the lake. Much is known about the failing septic systems along Lake Hopatcong which is why all the towns pledge to go on sewer. But after half did, the other half did not citing lack of funding. For example, Hopatcong has an entire phase 2 to complete the sewers in their town that they never did and have no plans for any longer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

I should add that not only are the septics over worked, they are on tiny lots without large enough leach fields. Each system just cascades down the hill into the next and ultimately into the lake. Much is known about the failing septic systems along Lake Hopatcong which is why all the towns pledge to go on sewer. But after half did, the other half did not citing lack of funding. For example, Hopatcong has an entire phase 2 to complete the sewers in their town that they never did and have no plans for any longer.

You've just confirmed what I suspected.  The lake is a toilet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

Mike we believe in respecting our elders, so in this case it's all on 3-Blade.   Please pray for his fate. 

Mercy, mercy... thank you. I'm off to pray after I put my shirt back on.

18 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

You've just confirmed what I suspected.  The lake is a toilet.

It may be a toilet and I would never keep a fish out of there or swim but it grows some big fishy’s

1E8AA722-A402-4673-9DFC-41FEC3D60E58.jpeg

• Like 4

It seems to be the fate of a lot of lakes. Mountain Lake in Warren used to be a trophy trout lake fed by cold springs and now it is a trophy musky lake fed by warm leach fields and excess trout from the hatchery.

20 minutes ago, _X7 said:

It seems to be the fate of a lot of lakes. Mountain Lake in Warren used to be a trophy trout lake fed by cold springs and now it is a trophy musky lake fed by warm leach fields and excess trout from the hatchery.

Bass fishing there was incredible in the 80's and 90's until the musky started to take off.

State tried to say they would take up residence in other areas of the lake .

B.S. as we pounded Muskys  at every location bass had been plentiful. 

Weeknights we used to catch 30/35 fish per guy after work .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Live to Hunt said:

Wrong :P so you and Jacko can :kissbutt:LOL