Bucksnbows

Electro Shocking Lopatcong Creek today

Great day Brian!  Looks like a lot of fun and great for us lowly fishermen to see what's involved in the surveying and what's actually there :up:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

This is way down below Lock Street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've caught them down there , but not many. The video fish were all caught from Logan and Lock to the bridge before the old Agway. I believe there was a brookie in the mix.  I used to catch mostly brook trout up along Harmony-Brass Castle Road

• Like 1

Brian, was that a crane fly larvae?   May need to tie up some mops.

Brian, was that a crane fly larvae?   May need to tie up some mops.

That was a dragonfly larvae. Crane flies look like a big grub. We didn’t find any today or Monday when we did Trout Brook around Hope. The one that flows into the Pequest since most watersheds have a Trout Brook or Run and it gets confusing.

Brian, I was referring to the larvae on the spoon....looked too big to be caddis

12 hours ago, Big one said:

Brian, I was referring to the larvae on the spoon....looked too big to be caddis

That's a cased caddis and some get even bigger.  The caddis that build cases from small wood pieces are the largest caddis we find in NJ.  Unfortunately, that photo was just off my Iphone and it had some fog on the lens from being in my pocket on an 87 degree day.  

IMG_7683.jpg

Here’s another shot of the cased caddis.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 8:33 PM, Bucksnbows said:

In case nobody noticed, we did find an adult brook trout this far downstream which is the furthest downstream that species has been recorded.  Anglers that fish the lower Lopat may know otherwise, but for electro shocking, this is the furthest downstream.  Water temps hit a high of 62F today which is not too bad at all.  Lethality for trout is somewhere between 79.5 and 80F, depending on the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water.  And they go into thermal stress over 70F, so 62 is good for NJ this time of year.  But it is also our only true limestone spring creek, flowing out of Montana Mountain.     

And you say you are "working"........How COOL is that?? 

Nicely done as always Brian, great post! :up::up:

• Like 1

Pretty awesome! Are the animals stunned for a short period then released again or are they shocked to death?
Very interesting- would love to see it happen, if you ever do a waterway close to my place and need a volunteer to come carry gear and help set nets please lmk. I'd love to tag along if possible.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

10 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Pretty awesome! Are the animals stunned for a short period then released again or are they shocked to death?
Very interesting- would love to see it happen, if you ever do a waterway close to my place and need a volunteer to come carry gear and help set nets please lmk. I'd love to tag along if possible.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

They are stunned only for a couple of seconds, so the netting job becomes critical.    Someone walks behind the netters with a bucket to hold the fish in until we get to the top of the 100 meter reach.  After we measure each one, it is released back into the stream unharmed.  Sometimes when we electro shock a new stream and find native brook trout, we also take a small fin clip which are recorded and stored in a solution to preserve them for DNA analysis at a later time.   

• Like 1

that is a beautiful little stream and that baby brown is a jewel

• Like 1
  • Agree 1