2 hours ago, fdsmiles said:

i am going back on 7-18 to due it again.i will starting with a 4oz bucktail.i don't know anyone here per say but i can flip a 4oz bucktail pretty far up tide and fish back to me.as i have been doing since i was 9 years old.i fish allot and in all the fluke trips i have made to mass or ri i hjave never used more than 6oz.i also never use bait so i would not have a clue as how to fish it.

i think its pretty weird how peeps can say "you can't do it" but yet its done every day.

When you are fishing a party boat with a number of anglers on board who know what their doing,nothing is more endearing as someone  throwing a light bucktail tangling a bunch of lines! If your on a boat with just a few people it might work!

8 minutes ago, Tallman said:

When you are fishing a party boat with a number of anglers on board who know what their doing,nothing is more endearing as someone  throwing a light bucktail tangling a bunch of lines! If your on a boat with just a few people it might work!

On a party boat or large charter group majority fish the drift side leaving other side more conducive to exactly what fsdsmiles prefers.  Nothing wrong with that. I may be doing same on my first  Helen H trip 

If you're skilled at underhand flipping/casting, read the drift right (boats don't always drift perfectly) and flip/cast in the right direction you can bounce it back to right in front of you.  I find most of the problems come when the angler's line crosses to the right or left of the angler as it nears the boat (usually due to drift or current "misreads" or the captain stemming by bumping the engine and messing up your "calculation").  It then subsequently gets cast over by others or the angler waits too long to retrieve to start over and gets too close to or under the boat, resulting in lines dropped down near the boat then tangling with their line.

Regardless if you are fishing out and back or fishing out and away, you have to be very mindful of not only your line but EVERY line around you.  Plenty of times I'll be retrieving earlier than desired just to avoid getting in a tangle (you should see it coming).  If it becomes a pattern, then it's time to talk to the other angler(s) causing the problems (assuming you aren't that angler haha).  I've been on countless trips where guys are flipping/casting all over the place, but they know how to fish around each other very effectively.  Party boats with once a year fishermen that isn't easy and it's why bucktailers often prefer the bow (and the stern) of boats where they can cast around in a semi circle in front (or rear) of the boat where the rest of the anglers can't get to.

wow this flipping bucktail thing has some at wits end.i really don't see whats so hard about it.i guess i do it so much it just seems easy.there were 31 other beeps on the boat with me and

i never got in a tangle while buck tailing.i would never fish in a manor that would stop others from fishing ,i would not want to waste their time or money.

Edited by fdsmiles
20 minutes ago, fdsmiles said:

wow this flipping bucktail thing has some at wits end.i really don't see whats so hard about it.i guess i do it so much it just seems easy.there were 31 other beeps on the boat with me and

i never got in a tangle while buck tailing.i would never fish in a manor that would stop others from fishing ,i would not want to waste their time or money.

32 isn't bad at all on a party boat (like the Voyager).  Lot of room for everyone.  It can be quite challenging on a weekend trip where they rail it with 100 people.

3 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

If you're skilled at underhand flipping/casting, read the drift right (boats don't always drift perfectly) and flip/cast in the right direction you can bounce it back to right in front of you.  I find most of the problems come when the angler's line crosses to the right or left of the angler as it nears the boat (usually due to drift or current "misreads" or the captain stemming by bumping the engine and messing up your "calculation").  It then subsequently gets cast over by others or the angler waits too long to retrieve to start over and gets too close to or under the boat, resulting in lines dropped down near the boat then tangling with their line.

Regardless if you are fishing out and back or fishing out and away, you have to be very mindful of not only your line but EVERY line around you.  Plenty of times I'll be retrieving earlier than desired just to avoid getting in a tangle (you should see it coming).  If it becomes a pattern, then it's time to talk to the other angler(s) causing the problems (assuming you aren't that angler haha).  I've been on countless trips where guys are flipping/casting all over the place, but they know how to fish around each other very effectively.  Party boats with once a year fishermen that isn't easy and it's why bucktailers often prefer the bow (and the stern) of boats where they can cast around in a semi circle in front (or rear) of the boat where the rest of the anglers can't get to.

I agree but... bouncing bucktails back to you in moderate drifts is way different than in ripping current. Those that haven’t done it shouldn’t give it a try on a party boat, could get ugly fast LOL

2 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

LOL take a look at the boat you’re going on, I don’t believe you can walk around it like other party boats, stern only if i am not mistaken. I may be wrong though

Good point, and it's a 50' boat "Monomoy" and only half of it is fishing space (no bow access).   So with 14 guys will be a little cozy after all.

https://helen-h.com/monomoy/