Nantucket doormats

fdsmiles

32 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Killing the best breeding stock the ocean has to offer .

It's just my opinion but until guys get over hero shots of deckloads  of any kind of fish. We are our own worst nightmare .

Would benefit the fishery greatly to be taking fish from many different age classes than just killing mature fish. 

So true and unfortunately, so common.  Same goes for land animals such as Canada's greatly depleted caribou herds.  And how often do we talk about what we are doing locally to our cow striped bass?  

8 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

So true and unfortunately, so common.  Same goes for land animals such as Canada's greatly depleted caribou herds.  And how often do we talk about what we are doing locally to our cow striped bass?  

Cow bass discussion  has been hard fought .

Pretty aggressive threads here and the fishing sites.

Changes are going to be drastic to that fishery. 

While many believe fish stocks are healthy due to great spring fishing around RB it's well known the chesapeake  stocks are crashing quick .

With states exceeding our harvests both closing trophy seasons as well as imposing strict slot limits hopefully it rebuild quick.

Expecting NJ will follow suit with those regs at years end.

they don't have a 1000th of the fishing pressure we do.was there for 2 days and the only boat i saw was the helen h.there is a vast area of fish,its not a square mile that all compete for.as far as

trophy killers dose that include the hunters who kill the dominant gene bucks????very few fish for fluke up north as compared to us here in nj.they will have great fluking for years and years.

big fish bring big money and thats a fact.i hear worry of over fishing stripers but less on the amount of bunker they are taking for fertilizer.lets see poor water quality,depleting forage stocks,

abnormal limits and seasons and more peeps per square mile than any other place in America.sounds kinda weak to blame a guy for keeping his limit.

52 minutes ago, Tallman said:

Fdsmiles,

i don’t  know how you used a 4 oz  bucktail, we had to use 16 to 20 ozs to stay on bottom,in the many years I’ve been doing this trip,10 to 12 ozs have been the lightest!

What is average depth?  Also I guess at that weight, you are no longer bucktailing?  What is the rig for 16-20 ounce?

2 hours ago, Tallman said:

Fdsmiles,

i don’t  know how you used a 4 oz  bucktail, we had to use 16 to 20 ozs to stay on bottom,in the many years I’ve been doing this trip,10 to 12 ozs have been the lightest!

That's because you're dropping it straight down.

You can fish 4oz no problem if you cast the bucktail the same way the boat is drifting and work it back. I am a caster not a drop to the bottom and dragged.

I talked to 2 friends that have hone up and the most they used was 6 oz but again they and I are casters.

2 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Gotta go with the 2# test and trout rod!

@Buck154 knows what's up!

KIMG1978.JPG

It's true, I had 30 lb braid and 6 oz of led  he had 5lb and 2 oz of led. Would I switch on hard bottom not a chance, but it does show how you can down size weight depending on equipment

5 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

For 650 bucks you can fish 4 on a local party boat there .

or 3 days on a charter boat.

if going for a long boat ride suits you so be it .

IM def not going on a boat for those hours to fluke fish .

as far as only needing 4 Oz , you must have hit a great window in the tide , as most trips were fishing 8-24 Oz last week .

great body of large fish there for sure , with less than 10 boats working the area,

but pressure is soon coming there , no longer the secret it once was 

Yep. Harelips heading up. :rock:

I am prepared to use High-low rigs on a stiffer rod with heavy bank sinker.  6" gulp grub on bottom with a flash skirt ahead of it and 5" gulp grub above it with a flash skirt ahead of it. (or bait on one gulp the other, mix and match, etc)

Is it also possible to tandem rig bucktails and maybe go with an 8 ounce on bottom and 4-6 ounce above it?

I will also prepare to go with a standard bait rig off a 3 way swivel and drag extra long strip baits with as heavy a sinker as required.

Sounds like least likely option is to expect to use lighter rods and a single bucktail 6 ounce or less.

Edited by JHbowhunter

4 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I am prepared to use High-low rigs on a stiffer rod with heavy bank sinker.

Is it also possible to tandem rig bucktails and maybe go with an 8 ounce on bottom and 4-6 ounce above it?

I will also prepare to go with a standard bait rig off a 3 way swivel and drag extra long strip baits.

Sounds like least likely option is to expect to use lighter rods and a single bucktail 6 ounce or less.

Just bring several 12oz-24oz tandem Mojo rigs with you. :shock:

Just now, rocky said:

Just bring several 12oz-24oz tandem Mojo rigs with you. :shock:

Fished right you would probably slam big fish .

Lots of guys wanna bang their chest over 10 pound fish .But there are A LOT of fish caught over 15  # there .

Can throw back 6-7 pound fish back there like throwing shorts here .

My group spends A LOT of time there. 

Very few times guys are fishing  light weight there .

Unlike NJ where the bite shuts down at a 2 knot drift. The bite there is insane when the drifts crank up .

Weight also depends on depth . The bigger fish are being caught in over 100' of water .

Nice thing there is very little to snag on .

The grounds there don't eat bucktails like the areas we fish here .

I tied 6and 8 oz mojo style bucktails for the past trip.

Figure it would give a much bigger porgie  like profile ..

But as usual work got in the way 

20 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Chicken rig- Tie a surgeon or perfection loop at the end of a leader, up 10” tie a dropper loop around 6”long, up another 10” tie another dropper 6”long. Put 1 oz jigs on the dropper loops then use the perfection loop for additional weight you’ll need via sinkers of various weights. With this rig you can adjust weight in seconds without rerigging

Edited by MGHunter66