IGNORED

Craigslist question

Jerseybassnbow

10 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

I've had nothing but good experience's on craigs.

Knock on wood.

Cashier's check is good as cash.

Hope it all works out.:up:

They are not always as good as cash. A buddy accepted a cashiers check for his motorcycle and it was faked. He lost his bike, and the helmet he threw in.

Sold to a guy on Craigslist locally cash. Thank you for all of the info. Hopefully it will help someone else in the future.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Any Man Who Thinks He Can Be Happy and Prosperous By Letting the Government Take Care of Him Better Take A Closer Look at The American Indian! - Henry Ford

MOLON LABE

If someone gives you any check, always tell the person that you're going to call the bank first.  You can call any bank and ask if the account on the check has the funds available for the amount written on the check.  They won't tell you the account balance, but they will verify funds available.  I've done this every time someone gives me a check that I don't trust.

You do it this way.  First, do a Google search for the bank routing number like this:

bank routing number 322274187

You want to Google the routing number to verify that the bank on the check is the same as the Google search.  If not, it's a bogus check.

The number above is a credit union I use in California.  It's Logix Federal Credit Union (I'd be surprised if anyone here has ever heard of them).  Click on the link to the bank's website and dial their 800#.  Ask for a representative and give them the account number and the amount that the check is written out for and ask if funds are available to cover the check.

Hello, Logix FCU representative.  I have a personal check from account #12345678 for the amount of $100 and would like to know if funds are available for this check to clear.

They will tell you "yes" or "no" and that's it.  It's not a guarantee that funds will be there when you cash the check, but at the time you received it the check will clear.  If you have your bank's mobile app, deposit it right away using the app.

This works with cashier's checks and money orders too.  If you cannot get a human being on the phone and you don't trust the buyer, tell them when you can get confirmation that the check will clear, you'll give them the goods.  I always count cash in front of the buyer or seller so everyone knows everything is square.  Why not do the same thing with a check?  It's fair for everyone.  If they don't like it, move on to the next buyer.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:23 PM, Haskell_Hunter said:

I have a black light that I use for cash.  $10's and up are all marked with fluorescent watermarks.

My tenant used to pay me cash, until one day when I deposited it, one of the Hundreds was counterfiet. Not his fault, but he had to give me another one...(Bank does not give it back to you)

5 minutes ago, NJREALTOR said:

Bank does not give it back to you

My wife was once a bank teller... she'd tell me how people would unknowingly pass a counterfeit bill over the counter and get pissed when the teller had to tell them, "This $100 bill is a phony - we can't deposit it into your account, and we can't give you the bill back. Sorry."