IGNORED

Question for you tech savvy guys about internet providers

jerseybowhunter

I’m looking to ditch my $190 xfinity bill and go with just an internet provider and get a fire stick or other live streaming device, I’m not the least bit tech savvy and all this stuff is over my head. Basically I’m looking for a cheap internet provider and something I can watch hunting shows on and leave animal planet on all day for the dogs. From what I understand I can get a fire stick and a streaming service like gear tv for low monthly payments and pretty much have all the channels I do now with cable. The previous owners of the new house had fios and all the equipment is still installed so I’m thinking going that route. Any recommendations on a cheap internet provider and live streaming service? I’m hoping to cut my comcast bill in half, I can’t justify paying $190 a month for tv let alone the tv stays on the same 3 channels, outdoor network, sportsman and animal planet. Any info is appreciated 

Well I have Optimum but the Amazon Prime TV is useless almost without a cable subscription. I only have internet and tried watching History/Discovery/Animal Planet etc etc and it wouldn't let me sign in to watch the live TV and other shows. I use my brothers Fios password since he has cable still. It works just fine with that.

8 hours ago, jerseybowhunter said:

I’m looking to ditch my $190 xfinity bill and go with just an internet provider and get a fire stick or other live streaming device, I’m not the least bit tech savvy and all this stuff is over my head. Basically I’m looking for a cheap internet provider and something I can watch hunting shows on and leave animal planet on all day for the dogs. From what I understand I can get a fire stick and a streaming service like gear tv for low monthly payments and pretty much have all the channels I do now with cable. The previous owners of the new house had fios and all the equipment is still installed so I’m thinking going that route. Any recommendations on a cheap internet provider and live streaming service? I’m hoping to cut my comcast bill in half, I can’t justify paying $190 a month for tv let alone the tv stays on the same 3 channels, outdoor network, sportsman and animal planet. Any info is appreciated 

See my thread on this: 

We currently have CenturyLink DSL which is good for 10Mbps up and 1Mbps down.  That is fine for us because we hardly ever have more than one TV going at once.  If we do one TV will be pulling down an OTA (over-the-air) signal and one will be streaming (kids shows, etc...)  I have three TVs so I need three Amazon Fire TV sticks, and I'll be using an Amazon Fire Recast to integrate the streaming content with the OTA content.  I'm also going to need an antenna and some assorted wiring, etc...  All told it will be a one-time $500 investment in equipment, but it will mean that I can just pay $45 a month for internet service and nothing else.  Depending on what you want to stream and how many devices you'll have going at once you may need higher speeds.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

The best way to ditch a $190 xfinity bill is to switch to FIOS under one of their advertisements for the triple play. Then when that rate goes up, switch back to xfinity for their currently advertised triple play rate. IMO (in my area) FIOS blows xfinity out of the water for internet, no comparison.

When you pay for just internet or a double play they jack the rates up and for a bit more you could have all 3 services. Don't be afraid to haggle with them on the phone.

• 4 weeks later...

If you own your own home business, cancel your cable and just get Internet under the business name.  Then your internet access becomes a business expense.

Connect a fire stick or anything else (I have AppleTVs) to your TVs.

Netflix - $15/mo
Hulu - $20/mo
SlingTV - $25/mo

You could just get SlingTV and that would cover some TV, but not local stuff.  You cannot get local stuff online, but there are plenty of websites and other things to get local news other than TV.  SlingTV has more expensive packages, and there are other providers out there for TV, so look in to them all.  I use the three above as well as a subscription to HBO that I can cancel any time (it’s another $15/mo.).  Best thing about these providers is the ability to cancel anytime.  They are all month-to-month subscription models.

I also got rid of my home phone and use a MagicJack instead.  That’s $30/year for phone.  You connect your phone to your Internet connection.  I don’t answer my home phone because of robocallers, but they will email me my phone messages.  So I still have a home #, but no phone connected to it.  If it’s important, then people will leave a message.  That message gets emailed to me, and I listen to it then and decide if I want to call them back.  It’s nice not having a phone ringing in the house.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

4 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

If you own your own home business, cancel your cable and just get Internet under the business name.  Then your internet access becomes a business expense.

Connect a fire stick or anything else (I have AppleTVs) to your TVs.

Netflix - $15/mo
Hulu - $20/mo
SlingTV - $25/mo

You could just get SlingTV and that would cover some TV, but not local stuff.  You cannot get local stuff online, but there are plenty of websites and other things to get local news other than TV.  SlingTV has more expensive packages, and there are other providers out there for TV, so look in to them all.  I use the three above as well as a subscription to HBO that I can cancel any time (it’s another $15/mo.).  Best thing about these providers is the ability to cancel anytime.  They are all month-to-month subscription models.

I also got rid of my home phone and use a MagicJack instead.  That’s $30/year for phone.  You connect your phone to your Internet connection.  I don’t answer my home phone because of robocallers, but they will email me my phone messages.  So I still have a home #, but no phone connected to it.  If it’s important, then people will leave a message.  That message gets emailed to me, and I listen to it then and decide if I want to call them back.  It’s nice not having a phone ringing in the house.

Smarty pants 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈