IGNORED

State Striper Survey

allmann

We are our own worst enemy once again. We have destroyed the fishery after taughting the rod and reel fisherman will never hurt this fishery.   Well guess what, the same charters keeping 2/3 bass each Man up to 40lbs twice a day, day after day has taken its toll.  Slot limit 1 fish 24-36, circle hook requirement.

4 minutes ago, Mallard1100 said:

We are our own worst enemy once again. We have destroyed the fishery after taughting the rod and reel fisherman will never hurt this fishery.   Well guess what, the same charters keeping 2/3 bass each Man up to 40lbs twice a day, day after day has taken its toll.  Slot limit 1 fish 24-36, circle hook requirement.

agree with some TOTALLY disagree with the ending.

Circle hooks are not an end all , and anyone that tells you they wont gut hook a fish hasn't fished enough .

and IF they decide to not word it correctly as in BAIT use only . it can eliminate just about every type of lure we fish with.

Snag and drop would be a thing of the past also . Be careful what you ask for.

The Chesapeake fishery is hurting , while the Hudson fishery is incredibly strong.

While NJ isn't helping its the 54% of total catch in Maryland and VA that is hurting this fishery .

They slaughter stacked up egg laden cows from Thanksgiving till April when the waters stay warm enough.

TRUELLY is like fishing in a barrel when they are stacked up down there.

IMO the best thing that can be done is make all fish over 40" be released, but what happens IF that never changes again. Someone may possibly catch a world record fish and not get to ever see it recorded..

I would like to see 1 SPECIAL tag per year per person in that event.

and it be required that tag be punched to eliminate it being reused 

Normal bag limit of 1 fish  between 28" and 40" to stretch out year classes of fish into the harvest.

Bonus tag of 1 fish per angler in the fall of 24" to 28".

everything else released.

My comment on the survey was its time to stop all harvest of bunker inside the 3 mile line until after June 30th and the majority of the bass have moved on.

Plenty of time the remaining months for that fishery to not impact the striper fishery.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

37 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Circle hooks are not an end all , and anyone that tells you they wont gut hook a fish hasn't fished enough .

and IF they decide to not word it correctly as in BAIT use only . it can eliminate just about every type of lure we fish with.

The Chesapeake fishery is hurting , while the Hudson fishery is incredibly strong.

While NJ isn't helping its the 54% of total catch in Maryland and VA that is hurting this fishery .

They slaughter stacked up egg laden cows from Thanksgiving till April when the waters stay warm enough.

TRUELLY is like fishing in a barrel when they are stacked up down there.

IMO the best thing that can be done is make all fish over 40" be released, but what happens IF that never changes again. Someone may possibly catch a world record fish and not get to ever see it recorded..

Normal bag limit of 1 fish  between 28" and 40" to stretch out year classes of fish into the harvest.

My comment on the survey was its time to stop all harvest of bunker inside the 3 mile line until after June 30th and the majority of the bass have moved on.

Plenty of time the remaining months for that fishery to not impact the striper fishery.

Very good point on the circle hook issue regarding snag and no drop etc. I never even thought of that.  I would not want certain things like that restricted. My point overall was that we really need to do something to take action and correct what has been done.  It’s really a shame because it is a great fishery up here.  One that I enjoy the most and will do my part to preserve/protect it for the future. 

44 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

TRUELY is like fishing in a barrel when they are stacked up down there.

I couldn't agree more.  I only wished I said the same for the herring, but I emphasized that we just can't keep harvesting our breeding females and expect the stock to thrive or something to that effect.