IGNORED

RIP groundhog

mazzgolf

I went to the farm field again this morning for a couple hours - I know there are at least another 4 groundhogs around here. But there are so many dens and holes in the ground, I have to flip a coin and guess which have occupants. This morning I chose wrong. I was sitting about 20 yards from a den that has three access holes all within 30 yards of each other, but nothing was around this particular den.

I then looked to my left about 150 yards away and I see this groundhog rummaging around. Too far away, but I kept my eye on her. After about 30 minutes, she started meandering down my way. She got within about 70 yards and slipped down a hole in another den. That was her mistake. I quickly got up and fast-walked to moved in closer - I got to about 30 or 40 yards when she popped back out of the hole and stood on her hindquarters. I froze, and then slowly raised the gun, put the bead on her, and pulled the trigger. I'm using my 870 with turkey choke and 3.5" #4 Remington Nitro Turkey... this shot was at something like 35 yards - probably closer to 40.

Groundhog hunting is challenging, but enjoyable, and it feels good knowing you are helping out the farmer. I don't know how the tractor's axles are surviving - these groundhog dens are everywhere. 

2019-06-05-groundhog-2.jpg.1cb4faf54493d6c7c21019abe3adc1d7.jpg2019-06-05-groundhog-1.jpg.2edabe23f5c425605a3706b342dc5f98.jpg

8 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I went to the farm field again this morning for a couple hours - I know there are at least another 4 groundhogs around here. But there are so many dens and holes in the ground, I have to flip a coin and guess which have occupants. This morning I chose wrong. I was sitting about 20 yards from a den that has three access holes all within 30 yards of each other, but nothing was around this particular den.

I then looked to my left about 150 yards away and I see this groundhog rummaging around. Too far away, but I kept my eye on her. After about 30 minutes, she started meandering down my way. She got within about 70 yards and slipped down a hole in another den. That was her mistake. I quickly got up and fast-walked to moved in closer - I got to about 30 or 40 yards when she popped back out of the hole and stood on her hindquarters. I froze, and then slowly raised the gun, put the bead on her, and pulled the trigger. I'm using my 870 with turkey choke and 3.5" #4 Remington Nitro Turkey... this shot was at something like 35 yards - probably closer to 40.

Groundhog hunting is challenging, but enjoyable, and it feels good knowing you are helping out the farmer. I don't know how the tractor's axles are surviving - these groundhog dens are everywhere. 

2019-06-05-groundhog-2.jpg.1cb4faf54493d6c7c21019abe3adc1d7.jpg2019-06-05-groundhog-1.jpg.2edabe23f5c425605a3706b342dc5f98.jpg

Mazz I've been thinking of selling a 22250 that 150 would be nothing for it if your interested

3 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

If the holes are fresh dug then there is one or more living in there. 

One of the holes I sat next to was freshly dug. In fact, I was out there last night and I saw a groundhog by this hole (that's why I hunted over that hole this morning). I've no idea if it just stayed in the den all morning and didn't come out, or if the tunnels connect underground to another den and it went somewhere else.

9 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

One of the holes I sat next to was freshly dug. In fact, I was out there last night and I saw a groundhog by this hole (that's why I hunted over that hole this morning). I've no idea if it just stayed in the den all morning and didn't come out, or if the tunnels connect underground to another den and it went somewhere else.

They can connect a ways away

8 hours ago, megavites said:

Mazz,

you sitting in the open? I thought they pick up humans pretty good. I have 4 I'm trying to put the sneak on.

Too close to the building and propane tanks so I have to setup with a clear shot  downrange.

Yes, I am. Middle of a field with sprouts just coming up. However, I am behind one of those quick-setup blind wall things - one of these: https://www.hunterspec.com/product/collapsible-super-light-portable-ground-blind

I go in at a time when I think they are still in their dens. I hurry to the middle of the field and I set it up so I have a blind wall in front of me and that extends to my left and right - only my back is exposed. I set up where the holes to a den are about 20 yards in front of me. This way, I can move around a bit but so long as I crouch down they won't see me behind the wall. This blind material has cutouts that I can peek through and check the den holes. When I see a groundhog pop out, I slowly move myself so I can see over the blind wall and once I get the gun over the blind wall I can aim and shoot.

You'd think it wouldn't work, but I'm able to pick them off.

I'm headed out right now for another couple hour sit :) 

I think they are on to me :D I didn't see a single groundhog this morning - was there until about 8:45am (and I usually see them out and about at least by 8:30 if not sooner). I know there are at least 3 more around here.

After a few days of picking them off one by one, you wonder if some of them start to go...

"Harry?? You over there??? Bob, you in here??? Joe??? Hey! Where did everybody go???"

:)

Might have to shake things up and go after work a couple hours before sunset - gotta trick them in case they've patterned me in the morning. Takes a pretty special person to outsmart a groundhog. My foe, my enemy, is an animal. And in order to conquer him, I have to think like him. :loco:

1 hour ago, Kype said:

has anyone here ever tried eating one?

I had grand plans... but the first one I got, I "tried" to skin it. Skin was tougher than a squirrel! So I just said forget it. Left it for the rest of the animals to enjoy.

I got another one this evening - wasn't seeing anything again (except for deer and turkey, go figure), so I stood up to move to another spot, and I happened to look behind me, and there's a groundhog poked out of a hole that was about 20 yards INSIDE the tree line. I was right on the tree line this time so I had to slowly move into a shooting  position before he saw me... took the shot and he went into his hole - so no pic. I'm sure I got him because I heard grunting/distress sounds for about 30 seconds down in the hole then it stopped.

That's a total of 5 down on this field - not sure how many there are left. On my way out, I started putting sticks and dirt down some of the holes that look recently used - I'll go back in a couple days and see what holes were refreshed.

14 minutes ago, megavites said:

Mazz,

I blasted one as I was walking to my set. It retreated under some decking and died their. The rest of the night was uneventful. 

Still a success!:up:

Funny how it's possible to just bump into them when you aren't expecting it - like when walking in or when standing up to move :) My first time out this year, I wasn't 50 yards from my truck walking in when I saw one on the edge in the grass. Turned out, this guy had an open wound on his hind-quarters (attacked by a fox or yote??) and was limping pretty bad and had flies all over him. He wasn't long for this world, so I ended his misery.