SoloFilmer

I know its not NJ but does anyone hunt ducks in NY. Some info please?

So, I have a friend looking to get rid of his property up in upstate NY. He is not a duck hunter, but said he has leased it years ago to guys and they said they would limit out in minutes. Not sure if it is necessarily true but I would like to try and get some info. He has the grounds for a ton of birds as far as ponds/ swamps/streams running through his property. Just wondering if anyone hunts upstate NY, as in near the Tug Hill region? ie Pulaski, Orwell. If anyone does how is the hunting up there as far as numbers or just hunting in general. I cant imagine it being terrible with it so close to the Canadian Border. 

Have only ever goose hunted that area and have great success and seen thousands of geese in the air at times.  

• Like 1

My pal used to go to st Lawrence river n Chippewa bay....all the wood duck, wook cocks, grouse n rabbits u want. Been a long time since he been up there, but it's probably still good. 

I hunt the Eastern Adirondacks and communicate to my buddies that it’s basically candyland for a duck hunter. In all reality, it’s nothing crazy, but I rarely go home without seeing close to 100 ducks by 8am and probably having a dozen shooting passes. There is just so many public swamps and beaver flows up there that the ducks aren’t pressured anywhere near what they are down here (outside of opening weekend anyways). Places like Champlain, and Lake George are a completely different story and are hunted like crazy, but if you’re willing to carry in a kayak or canoe, you can limit out on woodies 1 weekend, then mallards the next. And you’ll most likely be on your own.

• Like 2

I been on the estuary of the salmon river in October and seen tons of ducks. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a great area for duck hunting in the fall along with going to the salmon river for salmon, steelhead and brown trout. Can't beat fishing and hunting in the same day :up:

• Like 1

Of the NJ waterfowl biologist goes to Chippewa bay annually....it must b pretty good!!