IGNORED

Plowing - Truck vs. ATV advice needed

30 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

No brainer.  It’s fun plowing with quad.  I only have one for that purpose and to haul deer and firewood.  No other reason to own one IMHO 

Do you do anything for salt with the ATV? My driveway faces north and NEEDS to be salted. 

3 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Use you ATV. For the amount of snow here it will be fine. We are not in Canada!!!! With the money you save you can take the wife on vacation and gain brownie points for hunting season. :up:

That's brilliant. Sure you're not in sales?

20 minutes ago, kanigie said:

Do you do anything for salt with the ATV? My driveway faces north and NEEDS to be salted. 

I don't do salt.  But after you plow, why not just put it out with a broadcast spreader?  Should only take a minute or two.  Unless your driveway is a mile long, I would not bother using quad to spread salt.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

What surface are you plowing? I’m assuming black top. For most storms and most winters an atv plow is adequate. Just stay on top of it during the storm and push your banks back as far as possible, because they if it stays cold and snows again you will end up with a narrow luge and no where to push the snow. ie winter of 2014. Just keep in mind your not gona hop on an 800 pound 570cc quad and push 10 inches of heavy wet snow without it being a PITA. IMG_4112.thumb.jpg.c5865510318b042f2975d90b7d54fd04.jpg

I use a Kubota 900 diesel (2000lbs) on a 1/2 mile packed millings lane and it’s about all it can handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do use a wench, be sure it is geared for plow blade use, and not general wenching duties.

FWIW, I use a manual lift on my Kawi 650 atv plow … where you use an arm while seated to lower and raise the blade. Works good enough for my ~6 car driveway, and the neighbors' sometimes, too.

Even my kids used the same setup on a 350 atv. ATV's really do a pretty good job at plowing.

Good luck. 

ATV wench ...

pirate-wench-costume.jpg

53 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I don't do salt.  But after you plow, why not just put it out with a broadcast spreader?  Should only take a minute or two.  Unless your driveway is a mile long, I would not bother using quad to spread salt.

That would blow. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HPxScS6YNBC3n5cj7

Edited by kanigie