IGNORED

Boss Buck Feeders.... Not happy!

B B

I thought these things were made of a plastic that critters wouldn't chew?  Anyone else have this happen?  Camera batteries died a month or so ago so I pulled the camera.  Of course they weren't this chewed up at that time.  Two outta three chewed and they're starting on the third.  I'm guessing squirrels and coons doing their thing.  Eighty-nine bucks for a new one that I'm sure will get chewed again.   

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

The mesh is a good idea. I had to do that with the American Hunter brand of feeders that were all plastic. I tried to save some money by getting the cheaper plastic one but over the long haul it caused more work because the plastic was chewed like mad. Try the wire mesh or eventually buy the metal one and not have that problem.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

8 hours ago, B B said:

I thought these things were made of a plastic that critters wouldn't chew?  Anyone else have this happen?  Camera batteries died a month or so ago so I pulled the camera.  Of course they weren't this chewed up at that time.  Two outta three chewed and they're starting on the third.  I'm guessing squirrels and coons doing their thing.  Eighty-nine bucks for a new one that I'm sure will get chewed again.   

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

I purchased my gravity feeders specifically with squirrels in mind (no Bears in my area). Soon after a feeder goes empty that is when the squirrels will chew and destroy it. My Uncle has had 2 Boss Buck feeders which have been rendered useless by squirrel damage. I have a Banks Feeder which I have had up for 4 years now with zero squirrel damage and just purchased an all-steel gravity feeder built in its likeness! 690.thumb.JPG.6400faa4ae0f165e534d1e9c577f85c2.JPG5-21-19b.thumb.JPG.ef6f827e8d9984826faff81093850ed3.JPG

I had one, I pop riveted aluminum flashing on the spouts. I also put grey PVC pipe on the legs with  self tapping screw on the bottom of the PVC pipe into each leg, they cant climb it because it spins and they fall off, great with coons too. Now it’s steel or nothing.

1A4C2BE2-C371-424B-A20B-686A4DE111AB.jpeg

9FE9332B-1DA8-4067-B787-F11B16B34512.jpeg

Edited by Lungsonlvs

email the manufacturer and tell them you just bought it and the squirrels chewed it to pieces. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll send you the bottom piece. Then armor it. It's worth a shot.

Edited by Mr12gauge

5 hours ago, Lungsonlvs said:

I had one, I pop riveted aluminum flashing on the spouts. I also put grey PVC pipe on the legs with  self tapping screw on the bottom of the PVC pipe into each leg, they cant climb it because it spins and they fall off, great with coons too. Now it’s steel or nothing.

1A4C2BE2-C371-424B-A20B-686A4DE111AB.jpeg

9FE9332B-1DA8-4067-B787-F11B16B34512.jpeg

Lungs,  I see you have the additional pole on yours.  Looks like the buck would be able to get his snout in there, but what about the smaller deer?  Funny thing is I have very few pics of the deer actually sticking their nose in the funnel, they mostly eat what the squirrels and coons nock onto the ground.  

Some good suggestions.  Wish I thought of the wire mesh before they chewed them up.  I have corn mixed with protein feed so I can't let water in or the protein feed will turn to mush.  Think I have some thin stainless steel I'll try bending around and riveting.    

And I did put a cam back on it :up:

Edited by B B