IGNORED

Calling turkey out of season

Just now, SPEARFISH said:

I would only do it at a place that doesn't allow hunting.  No need to educate them.

While it doesn't help I think theres a bit of a myth behind educating them to calls..  I hunt very pressured land and from my experience the past 4 years it depends on mood of Turkey at a given time and the mood of hens..  my last bird I seen a few different days and would not budge and neither would his hen..  in that day a few clucks and the hen was fired up and coming.  I also know many guy that killed the bird that was with mine 3 days later and about 75 yrds away from where I shot and he was able to call them down the power line easily..  I also talk to some that hunt land and have had them holy crap I was in there n hour before you n didnt get a gobble and I killed one..  as I said it cant help but I dont think it hurts as much as I we had thought

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Why do you want to call them? Just find out where they are roosting.

I’ve been out 3 times and someone else has always done the calling. Next time I want to do my own calling. I want to be ready and I thought if I can get a response outdoors, I’d be more confident about next season. This was my last attempt. 

C2F4E8E4-B7E9-4360-A46A-7E161DAECE1C.jpeg

Right now you'll be harder pressed to get a response as the breeding has pretty much ended..  while they will still shock gobble it wont be like it was during season.   I learned by googling Turkey sounds than using a mouth call to make the same sounds and recorded myself doing it to listen to play back..  remember it's not so much how good you sound but the cadence in wich you call.. you will learn turkeys sometimes make the most awful calls you will hear

4 hours ago, JOEYBOATS said:

I’ve been out 3 times and someone else has always done the calling. Next time I want to do my own calling. I want to be ready and I thought if I can get a response outdoors, I’d be more confident about next season. This was my last attempt. 

C2F4E8E4-B7E9-4360-A46A-7E161DAECE1C.jpeg

Congratulations Mr. Boats, and good luck next season.  :up::up:

Go to a turkey farm, or try fall turkey hunting.

After the last 3 days of weather we've had, there will be birds breeding again. It probably won't hurt to sit & try calling them in now, but there are better ways to gain confidence, IMO.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook: