IGNORED

Fluke rod& reel setups ?

FishNHard

Only half kidding Hammer. I use several sticks, in shallow water up to 17 feet. Depending on what I need to hold bottom. I recall laughing my ass off one trip out fishing my buddy who had an expensive St Croix rod and reel , while I used a 5 dollar garage sale set up. However fishing deep water structure like you do so often, a better investment in gear is warranted!

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

13 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Plenty of us to help set you up Greybeard

Deep sea fishing isn't big up here like down the shore.  Not much on the shelves to choose from.  Had to force myself to walk into dicks.  Kids there know less than I do about fishing, and didn't even know what they had on the shelves.  Took a half hour to get someone to come unlock the reel from the hook.  Un-reel!

1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

Deep sea fishing isn't big up here like down the shore.  Not much on the shelves to choose from.  Had to force myself to walk into dicks.  Kids there know less than I do about fishing, and didn't even know what they had on the shelves.  Took a half hour to get someone to come unlock the reel from the hook.  Un-reel!

Grey beard,  I have a set up you can use for the trip..

1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

as will I.       I recommend he bring a 6.5 to 7'  medium-heavy freshwater spinning rod (good bass or catfish rod) with 10lb braid.   If can use 3 ounce or less, that will be primo to cast far from boat and work it back with a gulp tail and gulp trailer.   Put 100 yards of 10# braid over your mono and good to go. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Just now, vdep217 said:

Thanks!  But, I picked up something yesterday, and my son has a few extra rods if need be.  I'm afraid of having someone else's rod go overboard like one of mine did once.  Besides, I didn't have a good rod and reel set-up that I could leave to my kids someday.

16 hours ago, FishNHard said:

So you guys think this would be any good to turn into a fluke setup I had bought it a while ago for fresh water jigging but just never used it shimano curado on a st Croix 7ft heavy fast action.  What are your guys fav setups spinning or conventional 

IMG_5279.JPG

That looks like one helluva fluke rig to me, unless you need to go 6 ounce or more but for bay and even a lot of ocean fishing will be a prime setup.   Put 100-150 yards of 15# braid on it and you are good to go. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

as will I.       I recommend he bring a 6.5 to 7'  medium-heavy freshwater spinning rod (good bass or catfish rod) with 10lb braid.   If can use 3 ounce or less, that will be primo to cast far from boat and work it back with a gulp tail and gulp trailer.   Put 100 yards of 10# braid over your mono and good to go. 

Thank you, too.  Got a 7' like you said, and Lew bait caster.  Figured we would just be dropping them down.  15lb braid and had 30lb mono for leader left over from bluefishing.

9 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Thank you, too.  Got a 7' like you said, and Lew bait caster.  Figured we would just be dropping them down.  15lb braid and had 30lb mono for leader left over from bluefishing.

Sounds good.   

I shot a big 10pt once….

18 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Do I need to put mono on first as a backer?  Reel says it holds 110yds of 12lb, guessing mono.  Do you think 150yds of braid will fill it enough?

15# braid is like diameter of 4-6# mono, so I would put 1/2 a spool of mono backing on first. There are several knots available online to splice mono to braid.  Reels perform best when at line capacity (full spool). That goes for casting, reeling, and drag peformance

I shot a big 10pt once….