Haskell_Hunter

Recommendations for .45 pistol

Not interested in revolvers, not a fan. Was looking to pick up a .45 ACP or similar pistol. I was given a recommendation to look at 1911s, specifically the Colts. Many models to choose from. Would love to hear opinions on Colts or anything else. 

I own two Glocks. Wouldn’t be opposed to getting another, but see this as an opportunity to branch out into different brands. 

Colt Competition 1911 is a very nice gun and is reasonably priced $850-$900. Nothing wrong with glock but pick up a glock then pick up a 1911 and it’s a completely different feel. Go somewhere where you can handle different models and get a feel for each gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

M1911 is a great platform, many manufacturing choices.  I have a RIO and love it, have shot a few others and like them all.

• Like 1

If looking at 1911’s anyone other than colt 

• Like 1

I love my Kimbers! Full size stainless, ultra carry and pro raptor. All shoot great and are made very solid. If your going to carry it at all ever then get an aluminum frame. I carried my Raptor for years and it felt like a brick on my belt.

• Like 2

I have a Charles Daly .45ACP in stainless and I love it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What do you want it for? What are you looking to do with it?

I like Springfield TRP without a rail. Also like S&W e series 1911.

Ruger also makes a nice 1911.

Also like HK USP 45.

How much are you looking to spend? 

Go rent a 1911 and then other types of 45's

Wilson Combat CQB and Ed Brown are nice but in 2500 range. 1911's vary on fit and finish.

If you want to travel to 18966 zip we have a place that rents a lot. Classic Pistol is awesome. 10 per rental I think you have to buy store ammo when renting.

Edited by thefirstndsecond
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Go shoot some. See the difference between 5" gun and a commander sized gun (4.25").  Figure out your budget. Go from there. 

The grip on a 1911 are fairly similar. Barrel length, finish, sights are where you have a lot of different options. 

Finish.... stainless, blued, parkerized. 

Sights... Adjustable or fixed low profile. 

If you're gonna carry it be aware a lot the 1911s weigh 32-45oz. That's a big chunk on your hip. 

If I had a grand to burn on a 1911 it would be a Springfield range officer commander. 

Definitely look at the Glock 45s. Also look at the SF (short frame) models. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

What do you want it for? What are you looking to do with it?

If you want to travel to 18966 zip we have a place that rents a lot. Classic Pistol is awesome. 10 per rental I think you have to buy store ammo when renting.

Range gun.  I don’t have the 1911 platform or a .45 pistol, so this will be an ice breaker.

If you want to set up a range day, I’ll come out!  :) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Go shoot some. See the difference between 5" gun and a commander sized gun (4.25").  Figure out your budget. Go from there. 

I might go to the range in Totowa and rent a few there.

My carry would be (if this state actually followed the US Constitution) my Glock 23 in .40 S&W.  On the ankle would be my Glock 42 in .380 Auto (or in a jacket pocket).  The .45 would be too big for me to use as a carry weapon.

Not worried about the budget, I’ve taken a look at the price range.  Would like to keep it as far under $2K as possible.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

My carry would be (if this state actually followed the US Constitution) my Glock 23 in .40 S&W.  On the ankle would be my Glock 42 in .380 Auto (or in a jacket pocket).  The .45 would be too big for me to use as a carry weapon.

Not worried about the budget, I’ve taken a look at the price range.  Would like to keep it as far under $2K as possible.

If you are looking to get a 1911 then why not the real McCoy, the Colt?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

With 2k budget look at used STI, Wilson, Dan Wesson. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1