B B

What an end to the season... New personal best!

Posted (edited)

Well, it has been an amazing season that came to an end with a bang (no pun intended).  I went out around noon and did a quick drive around to see if the birds were in the fields.  I didn't see a single bird in any fields, which was good cause I was hunting the woods.  I walk in to my spot and gave a few calls to see if there were any birds close.  Lite calls lead to louder calls, until I got a distant response.  I walked in a little deeper and hunkered down.  Although I brought decoys with me I decided to not set them out.  I began with the lite calling again and got no response.  After sitting quiet for a period of time I hear a lone gobble to my right, but closer than the first.  I hit the call and he responds.  Gonna be a quick one, I thought to myself.  Again things went quiet for a period of time and I kinda got the feeling he's quietly searching for a lady.  I call again and he responds again only this time when he responds I hear another gobbler in front of me and several to my left, the ones to my left were close!  What the @#$! I'm surrounded!  I hadn't seen a bird yet, but knew things were about to get interesting and was starting to question my decoy decision, but it's too late now.  I slowed my pace and threw out a few lite yelps and let them argue it out amongst themselves.  As one would gobble it would set off the one in front, then the ones to my left.  They were all closing in, but the birds to my left were definitely close enough to get my attention.  I finally saw movement to my left, one head, but knew there were more than that.  

At this point I knew I was not in a good position, but again, too late to worry about that.  I could barely turn my head enough to see the one bird and it was getting  painful to keep looking.  I decided to just get comfortable and not chance getting caught and hope for the best.  Minutes later I could hear them jumping the crick behind me.  I thought to myself, been here before, don't move, don't try to look for them and don't expect this to work out in my favor!  I could hear them behind me and they were real close.  At the same time the bird to my right moved in and let me know he was also in the game.    

At this point all I could think to myself was had I put out decoys the hunt would be over.  I'm sitting there with several birds no more than thirty yards behind me, having an all out party and I can't do much about it.  I couldn't figure out what was holding them right there.  Finally she spoke up and it became obvious why they weren't moving.  A hen managed to sneak in silent as the day is long.  I couldn't take it anymore and shifted my body trying to get a look.  Every once in a while all I could see was a red head pop up from behind the bushes only to disappear a second later.  I didn't know what was what or who was who, but I did know there were a lot of birds behind me and I still couldn't see them.  They were fired up throwing out half gobbles and the hen would throw her two cents in every once in a while.  

As all of this unfolds, out of nowhere I hear a gobble to my right.  He was close, but again I couldn't see him.  He sounded like a jake, but I shifted that way just in case.  I see a head and body bouncing through the undergrowth, but of course can't see him good enough to check his stats.  He's steady moving right to left and when he got behind a tree I readied myself for a shot.  Time goes by and he pulls a Houdini.  He's gone!  What the $#@!  I completely lost him!  In the blink of an eye he's nowhere to be found!  Wrong!  There he is right in front of me to my right.  As I struggled to see him moving right to left, he at some point, turned back to the right and walked into an opening.  A jake, you SOB, and the little sucker caught me.  He slowly clucked his way off, but wasn't too spooked.  Truthfully, I was glad to see him go.  

Now I'm back trying to figure out what was going on behind me.  Birds were still there and I was still just as blind as to what was what and who was who as I was when they got there.  I again struggle to look behind me through the bushes.  I can't see shit, but the best I could tell the hen was still holding them there.  The thought of just standing up and looking for a beard to pull the trigger on passed through my mind a thousand times at this point.

I decided to hit the call and see what happens.  The hen and what sounded to be numerous gobblers sounded off.  Staying in the position to see behind me was futile, not to mention painful, as I couldn't see anything.  I was stuck there with nothing to do but wait and see what happens.  Several minutes later I hear movement in the bushes and turn enough to see a bird heading my way.  He breaks through and it's another jake.  He makes his way past me to my right, no more than five yards away.  Again, glad to see him go.  Now I'm starting to wonder if I was having a heart attack over a bunch of jakes.  Things started to get quiet behind me and at this point I'm just looking forward to standing up and moving.  Just as I'm thinking the party's over, I hear a bird jump the crick to my left.  I shift left and see two long beards!  Holy hell was I stumped on what to do, but somehow my mind and my legs weren't on the same page cause I was halfway up and swinging the barrel in their direction.  It's kind of a blur as to exactly what happened from this point on, but I do know for sure as soon as I moved I was caught and they were headed for the hills.  I picked, what looked like, the better of the two and let it rip... [email protected]#$!...  he's still double timing it outta there... BOOM... down he goes!  I ain't gonna lie it felt like I was gonna faint. :laughing:

I made my way to the bird, somehow walking on water when I reached the crick, as he starts his death flop.  I got a foot on his neck and he stopped flopping within a few seconds.  I was fixated on his paintbrush beard and knew he was great bird.  When I turned him over and grabbed his beard I couldn't believe it, yet again, for the second time this season I killed a double bearded bird.

What a way to end the season.  I couldn't call my wife quick enough to tell her the news.  This turkey is my sixth double bearded bird and my personal best.  

So that's a wrap for my 2019 season.  A season that will certainly never be forgotten.  

As my friend, Jay (Thunderchicken) said, "I'd rather be lucky than good bro."  

IMG_1877.jpg

Edited by B B
  • Like 15
  • Winner 4

You've been quite the Turkey Terminator this year. Congrats. 

• Like 1

5 hours and I’m still waiting, come on already 😜

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bones said:

5 hours and I’m still waiting, come on already 😜

And I thought I took too long posting up pics and a story BB! ;)

• Like 1

Great bird and the story to go with it

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, B B said:

Well, it has been an amazing season that came to an end with a bang (no pun intended).  I went out around noon and did a quick drive around to see if the birds were in the fields.  I didn't see a single bird in any fields, which was good cause I was hunting the woods.  I walk in to my spot and gave a few calls to see if there were any birds close.  Lite calls lead to louder calls, until I got a distant response.  I walked in a little deeper and hunkered down.  Although I brought decoys with me I decided to not set them out.  I began with the lite calling again and got no response.  After sitting quiet for a period of time I hear a lone gobble to my right, but closer than the first.  I hit the call and he responds.  Gonna be a quick one, I thought to myself.  Again things went quiet for a period of time and I kinda got the feeling he's quietly searching for a lady.  I call again and he responds again only this time when he responds I hear another gobbler in front of me and several to my left, the ones to my left were close!  What the @#$! I'm surrounded!  I Hadn't seen a bird yet, but knew things were about to get interesting and was starting to question my decoy decision, but it's too late now.  I slowed my pace and threw out a few lite yelps and let them argue it out amongst themselves.  As one would gobble it would set off the one in front, then the ones to my left.  They were all closing in, but the birds to my left were definitely close enough to get my attention.  I finally saw movement to my left, one head, but knew there were more than that.  

At this point I knew I was not in a good position, but again, too late to worry about that.  I could barely turn my head enough to see the one bird and it was getting  painful to keep looking.  I decided to just get comfortable and not chance getting caught and hoping for the best.  Minutes later I could hear them jumping the crick behind me.  I thought to myself, been here before, don't move, don't try to look at them and don't expect this to work out in my favor!  I could hear them behind me and they were real close.  At the same time the bird to my right moved in and let me know he was also in the game.    

At this point all I could think to myself was had I put out decoys the hunt would be over.  I'm sitting there with several birds no more than thirty yards behind me, having an all out party and I can't do much about it.  I couldn't figure out what was holding them right there.  Finally she spoke up and it became obvious why they weren't moving.  A hen managed to sneak in silent as the day is long.  I couldn't take it anymore and shifted my body trying to get a look.  Every once in a while all I could see was a red head pop up from behind the bushes only to disappear a second later.  I didn't know what was what or who was who, but I did know there were a lot of birds behind me and I still couldn't see them.  They were fired up throwing out half gobbles and the hen would throw her two sense in every once in a while.  

As all of this unfolds, out of nowhere I hear a gobble to my right.  He was close, but again I couldn't see him.  He sounded like a jake, but I shifted that way just in case.  I see a head and body bouncing through the undergrowth, but of course can't see him good enough to check his stats.  He's steady moving right to left and when he got behind a tree I readied myself for a shot.  Time goes by and he pulls a Houdini.  He's gone!  What the $#@!  I completely lost him!  In the blink of an eye he's nowhere to be found!  Wrong!  There he is right in front of me to my right.  As I struggled to see him moving right to left, he at some point, turned back to the right and walked into an opening.  A jake, you SOB, and the little sucker caught me.  He slowly clucked his way off, but wasn't too spooked.  Truthfully, I was glad to see him go.  

Now I'm back trying to figure out what was going on behind me.  Birds were still there and I was still just as blind as to what was what and who was who as I was when they got there.  I again struggle to look behind me through the bushes.  I can't see shit, but the best I could tell the hen was still holding them there.  The thought of just standing up and looking for a beard to pull the trigger on passed through my mind a thousand times at this point.

I decided to hit the call and see what happens.  The hen and what sounded to be numerous gobblers sounded off.  Staying in the position to see behind me was futile, not to mention painful, as I couldn't see anything.  I was stuck there with nothing to do but wait and see what happens.  Several minutes later I hear movement in the bushes and turn enough to see a bird heading my way.  He breaks through and it's another jake.  He makes his way past me to my right, no more than five yards away.  Again, glad to see him go.  Now I'm starting to wonder if I was having a heart attack over a bunch of jakes.  Things started to get quiet behind me and at this point I'm just looking forward to standing up and moving.  Just as I'm thinking the party's over, I hear a bird jump the crick to my left.  I shift left and see two long beards!  Holy hell was I stumped on what to do, but somehow my mind and my legs weren't on the same page cause I was halfway up and swinging the barrel in their direction.  It's kind of a blur as to exactly what happened from this point on, but I did know for sure as soon as I moved I was caught and they were headed for the hills.  I picked, what looked like, the better of the two and let it rip... [email protected]#$!...  he's still double timing it outta there... BOOM... down he goes!  I ain't gonna lie it felt like I was gonna faint. :laughing:

I made my way to the bird, somehow walking on water when I reached the crick, as he starts his death flop.  I got a foot on his neck and he stopped flopping within a few seconds.  I was fixated on his paintbrush beard and knew he was great bird.  When I turned him over and grabbed his beard I couldn't believe it, yet again, for the second time this year I killed a double bearded bird.

What a way to end the season.  I couldn't call my wife quick enough to tell her the news.  This turkey is my sixth double bearded bird and my personal best.  

So that's a wrap for my 2019 season.  A season that will certainly never be forgotten.  

As my friend, Jay (Thunderchicken) said, "I'd rather be lucky than good bro."  

IMG_1877.jpg

SURROUNDED & pinned down by GOBBLERS and JAKES! Doesn't get better than that! Hell of a great story BB! 

Well done, fantastic season no doubt!! :up:

• Like 2

Awesome bird and story

• Like 1