9 minutes ago, Stan Putz said:

You are definitely on the "X" hunting there.

I turkey hunt every year near Albany, there has DEFINITELY been an increase in hogs in that part of the state, at least on the farms I have permission for. I'm afraid they are there to stay now.

Yup. Been going for over 12yrs now and have seen an increase in population. I have not seen the size I use to but the sounders are double what they use to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buck154 said:

Nice :up:. Wish they dropped right there for you. Any pictures after you got them?

Those ran about 50yds. I was zoomed way out to get a good video instead of accurate shooting. The rest dropped with the front of the shoulder shot.

20190225_232957.jpg

20190301_204218.jpg

20190228_005439.jpg

• Like 6

Awesome. With that pile of pigs you needed a 2nd shooter. Has to be fun shooting

I’ve never done it, but Looks like fun. I’m curious how long does it take for the hogs to return to the bait after shooting? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I’ve never done it, but Looks like fun. I’m curious how long does it take for the hogs to return to the bait after shooting? 

Ive shot them 4 nights in a row at that bait pile. They rolled in the sand once the corn was gone. Ive shot them and others came in an hour later and ive shot them and they didnt come back all week. It depends on how much they get shot at. My buddy and his friends shoot at them all the time at all hours especially while planting or cutting the corn.

Are the males rancid there. I shot a wounded one once. (long story) Was warned not to touch it without gloves. The landowner took it back out to the fields as bait.

11 hours ago, _X7 said:

Are the males rancid there. I shot a wounded one once. (long story) Was warned not to touch it without gloves. The landowner took it back out to the fields as bait.

Not really. Ive only shot a few that stunk and they were down in the swamp.One was a boar and one was a sow. She actually stunk worse than he did. I usually take the big boars and make sausage. Havent had one that tasted bad yet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattg1500 said:

Not really. Ive only shot a few that stunk and they were down in the swamp.One was a boar and one was a sow. She actually stunk worse than he did. I usually take the big boars and make sausage. Havent had one that tasted bad yet

I forget what he said that they carried, but it wasn't good. He had no trouble keeping sows. This was in South Carolina

51 minutes ago, _X7 said:

I forget what he said that they carried, but it wasn't good. He had no trouble keeping sows. This was in South Carolina

Trichinosis and brucellosis are the 2 Ive heard of. Both are avoidable with proper handling and cooking.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mattg1500 said:

Trichinosis and brucellosis are the 2 Ive heard of. Both are avoidable with proper handling and cooking.

I just reached out to a friend down there who said it was brucellosis that can infect an open wound or cut when dressing a pig. He also said you can even breath and the bacteria collects on your mucous membranes. He told me processors down there are no longer taking any wild pigs now.

Edited by _X7