Hunter99

Rainy day Bird + Video

Well, with work and school ending, I was looking forward to D week. I tagged out first saturday of E week and it was a long wait to today. I was unable to scout so I went to a spot I know they're roosting. in previous years.I have 3 ways to access the roost, one is risky as it goes through an open field next to them. 2nd is about a mile walk through some woods and fields, and the 3rd is a straight shot to the roost, but exposing. I chose the long way to be safe, and as I was starting my walk, I found it that cattails grew so thick it was impossible to get through as it was a couple hundred yards long. I backed out and went to the straight shot entrance, at this point it is 5:30 when I arrive. Walking in... I hear a gobble and get excited. YES! They're there. Then as I cautiously walk forward I realize the gobbling is behind me! Did I walk past them? Why didn't I hear them earlier? I backtrack and turns out 3 gobblers are roosted on a different property across the highway! I was surprised and worried those were the turkeys I know roost here. After debating what to do, I decide to advance to the known roost site for maybe some stragglers, or a different group. A few minutes of walking and there it is... a gobble in the field next to the roost. I quickly form a plan and decide to cross a small creek in the roost and set up in the thin woods between the field and me. I get settled in some brush and have two clearings to my side. I let out a yelp and instantly they cut me off. They gobbled their head off getting closer and closer. After a couple minutes I decided to yelp again, they cut me off once again. Suddenly I hear the two birds move from my  front right, to the front, then to the left. Silence. Then a thunderous gobble let out through some brush to my left. I quickly see him between some twigs and he's coming. One more yelp and he comes right to me, until about 10 steps and BOOM. Flopping all around. I wish I had my dslr but didn't risk it in the rain, so here's cell phone videos.

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

Congrats, but I can't see the video. Heard it though

Edited by _X7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, _X7 said:

hmm It wouldn't work when uploaded into post I'll have to figure it out

Nice. I can only hear it also. How big was the bird?

Posted (edited)

Congrats! Great story :up:

Edited by LPJR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buck154 said:

18 lbs 9" beard and 7/8" spurs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buck154 said:

17 hours ago, _X7 said:

Here is the gobbling link 

Kill Shot 

• Like 5

I love that sound when they are gobbling like crazy and you know they are coming in! Awesome! Thanks for the vids.

• Like 1