NJ219bands

32 lber on 4 lb test pic

Caught a 32 lber on 4 lb test Saturday evening with a 1/32 oz jig on 4 lb test in a small pond in Yardville, NJ. It bent the hook but did not escape.

20190511_190817.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

That is crazy for 4lb test! What type of line? Braid? 

Not sure if IGFA has a category for that!  But you get 1st place in the 4lb line, snapping turtle division at least "in my book".

Pretty cool.  Have hooked and landed my share in lakes while catfishing with cut bait - never one that big!

What became of the turtle?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Not sure if IGFA has a category for that!  But you get 1st place in the 4lb line, snapping turtle division at least "in my book".

Pretty cool.  Have hooked and landed my share in lakes while catfishing with cut bait - never one that big!

Hopefully he's taking a stream bath in a giant soup pot. Delicious!

• Like 1

Dedicated to our own Turtleman Nj219bands!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, LPJR said:

That is crazy for 4lb test! What type of line? Braid? 

> 20 year old mono. Got really lucky to land it. Got water in my knee boot while landing it. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:56 PM, JHbowhunter said:

Gave it to a guy who knows somebody who makes snapper soup. I don't know if he released it or made soup. A few years ago I gave a snapping turtle to a Chinese restaurant that made a clear broth with delicious white meat in it. I thought that it was chicken soup but they said it was my turtle. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NJ219bands said:

No, Cabot Drive.

Drive past it frequently heading to Home Depot. Always wanted to fish it but never did. Ive fished Gropps a few times. 

I have a lake in my back yard in Hamilton thats loaded with bass and havent had time to fish it much