Mink

Muskie in Spruce Run ??

We were fishing for hybrids in Spruce Run when my buddy hooked into what appeared to be a muskie . It fell off at boat side before we could land it . It DEFINITELY wasn't a pike ! Thing is I don't remember the state stocking muskies there . The fish wasn't huge, maybe 19 inches . Any ideas ?

2 minutes ago, Mink said:

We were fishing for hybrids in Spruce Run when my buddy hooked into what appeared to be a muskie . It fell off at boat side before we could land it . It DEFINITELY wasn't a pike ! Thing is I don't remember the state stocking muskies there . The fish wasn't huge, maybe 19 inches . Any ideas ?

I've never seen one or heard of them being stocked in there. Maybe someone put some in? Don't know. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

I've never seen one or heard of them being stocked in there. Maybe someone put some in? Don't know. 

Same here and we have been fishing there for years!

Any chance it was a big laker?  Not sure how well he saw it, but there shouldn't be any muskies in there or upstream tributaries.  

• Like 1

Just now, Woodsman416 said:

I remember a long time ago the state was supposed to have stocked tiger muskies in Spruce Run.

They can't reproduce and would only live a few years or so.  Spruce Run wouldn't be the best place to stock esox species due to lack of weed lines and overall forage species that lack.  Too many predators with too little prey is already a major issue for that waterbody.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I thought they put some tiger muskies in there in the 80's, but I would think they'd be bigger than 19in!

We caught a pickerel there for the 1st time a month or 2 ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Any chance it was a big laker?  Not sure how well he saw it, but there shouldn't be any muskies in there or upstream tributaries.  

We both got a pretty good look at it, it was either a tiger or pure strain muskie .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mink said:

Brian, the State released Tiger Muskies in Spruce Run for a few years many years ago on an experimental basis , but hybrids don't live as long and although a pure strain could possibly live for twenty years or more your fish at 19 inches surely isn't one of those early stocking. Interesting !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FLDBRED-BDC said:

Brian, the State released Tiger Muskies in Spruce Run for a few years many years ago on an experimental basis , but hybrids don't live as long and although a pure strain could possibly live for twenty years or more your fish at 19 inches surely isn't one of those early stocking. Interesting !

Could be a young one from a pure strain from years ago but you would think some would be caught now and then.

• Like 1

I hope it's not yet another case of bucket biology that has destroyed tens of thousands of great fisheries because someone introduced a non-native species without a permit or a thought to what would happen to that ecosystem and watershed.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

There are some pure strain in there. I will have to look into old pics(polaroids) but my wife caught one while hybred fishing many years ago. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bucksnbows said:

I hope it's not yet another case of bucket biology that has destroyed tens of thousands of great fisheries because someone introduced a non-native species without a permit or a thought to what would happen to that ecosystem and watershed.  

I believe that is a very strong possibility 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodsman416 said:

I remember a long time ago the state was supposed to have stocked tiger muskies in Spruce Run.

Edit:  I just searched and found an article about it.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/artwarmwater10.htm

My dad caught a really nice Tiger Muskie in Spruce Run in the mid-80's.  I have a picture of me, him and my mom somewhere with it.  I'll try to find it and post it up  

• Like 1

Another possibility is with all the high water, is there a source of the reservoir that could pick up muskies from another source?  Something other than Spruce Run Creek?

Spruce run creek does source from Beisler Lake - don't know anything about it it looks like a pond.    Hell if you connect all the feeder streams into the Musconetcong which is open to the Delaware, I can see where a young musky might be able to get into Spruce Run? (might only be possible in high water of which there is plenty this year)

• Like 1