IGNORED

engineered hard wood or vinyl plank?

buckhound

going to be putting new floors in hopefully next month or two trying to decide what i want with kids and animals and also i want to run it into the kitchen  i think real hardwwod is out. i have been looking at the engineered hardwood some claim to be waterproof or at least resistant and I seen a product called nucore that is a vinyl plank that is said to be water proof . any opinions ? or anyone ever used either kind. I have tile now in the kitchen , bathrooms  and carpet in livingroom and through out the rest of house but looking for the look of wood floors.

I'm having trouble choosing carpet right now.  Good luck.  The vinyl seems to hold up.  It's what hospitals and medical buildings have been installing lately.  can't say much about the wood, other than it had some bad reviews over the seams opening especially if the floor isn't perfectly level.

26 minutes ago, Hunter24 said:

Recently installed Lifeproof LVP floors in kitchen and bathroom and I love them. Holds up great with 2 dogs. I highly recommend getting a multi-tool/oscillating tool, made it very easy  to cut and install in 1 day. Best of luck!

AB57BD81-9311-40D9-84BE-86F19E7A5CD4.jpeg

E69A924C-2C83-49FE-9F6E-8B9ADF757D83.jpeg

looks real good :up:

Don't you think real wood would add to the value of the house?  I have porcelain in my kitchen. Not a wood look but it makes it different than the  wood in the other rooms. Also if the kids fall, they will hurt themselves on any floor you put down.

I am at the tail end of a full Reno at our condo. Redid the whole place including the floors. Went with Shaw LVP and we are super happy. My labs haven’t been able to make a mark on them.  I looked at everything out there and cortec seems to be the best but has limited colors and Shaw is number two. Good luck 

EA454885-C608-4C1B-99E0-F0908557FB7E.jpeg

10 hours ago, optowalt said:

Don't you think real wood would add to the value of the house?  I have porcelain in my kitchen. Not a wood look but it makes it different than the  wood in the other rooms. Also if the kids fall, they will hurt themselves on any floor you put down.

yes i know real wood brings value , we have porcelain tile now in kitchen but the wife envisions a continuous floor through out and her mind feels that tile floors are harder, :headscratch: like they say happy wife happy life

If you are thinking regular hard wood floor make sure you have enough clearance to get you dishwasher in and out. I don't in my kitchen so year ago I put in pergo type of floor with wood veneer. NO GOOD, it very quickly went bad and I will be replacing it soon with some kind of engineered wood imitation.