IGNORED

Bear Hunting in Canada

Golfsierra

8 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

The first time I drove to McAdam with the guide I heard a terrible whining from the back of his Jeep. I told him his rear diff was about to go and he told me it's fine, don't worry about it, it's been like that for a long time. I won't go into the whole story (it's long) but it involves a broken down Jeep, a handsome hunter (me) stuck 4 miles in on a logging road, a rainstorm, A 30 degree drop in temperature and a case of hypothermia.

Why did you get out of the jeep?;)

43 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

You're looking at the temps in celsius.

I hunted with Stony Brook one time and was not impressed. 

The first afternoon I had a small bear come in, grab a piece of bait and leave. 10 or 15 minutes would go by and he's come back in again. I think he came in 8 times altogether.  That's all I saw that night. When I got back in and showed the outfitter a picture of the bear I passed on he told me he's much more impressed with  a dead bear rather than a picture. They keep very "meticulous" records about bear sightings at each bait. I told him that I saw one bear 8 times. He said that I didn't know for  a fact that it was the same bear and it could have been 8 separate bears. So he marked down that I had seen 8 bears at that bait the first night. Here's the bear he wanted me to shoot.

010.JPG

That Bear looks like the size of the paint bucket behind him😳

I am assuming they will be small coming out of hibernation.

And your story about the Jeep 🤣 that would be me telling the guy what’s wrong with his vehicle and getting eyes rolled at me🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣

26 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

The first time I drove to McAdam with the guide I heard a terrible whining from the back of his Jeep. I told him his rear diff was about to go and he told me it's fine, don't worry about it, it's been like that for a long time. I won't go into the whole story (it's long) but it involves a broken down Jeep, a handsome hunter (me) stuck 4 miles in on a logging road, a rainstorm, A 30 degree drop in temperature and a case of hypothermia.

On a good note, the food was excellent, the lodge was nice, the cabins are rustic and comfortable and the fishing is good. 

too bad the guys running the operation are jerks.

A little bit more to that story. The guide dropped me off at the end of a logging road about 4 miles in. The Jeep broke down AFTER he was back in town. A front moved through with torrential rain for about an hour. I had rain gear on but it rained so hard for so long it soaked completely through. After the rain stopped the temperature dropped down into the 30s. The guide borrowed the outfitters Tahoe (which didn't have a jack) and promptly got a flat as soon as he pulled off the paved road. I was soaking wet and shivering cold but still waited on stand hoping to kill a bear until dark. At dark I got down and started hiking out to the turn around at the end of the logging road. My chest hurt really bad and I could hardly breath. When I got to the turn around I just wanted to lay down and sleep. I was going to crawl up under a pine tree and almost did but I realized what was happening to me. As hard as it was, I started walking. I walked about a mile down the road to where it was flooded by a beaver pond. Feeling better, I turned around and walked back, got back to the turn around and did it it again....and again.  On my third trip back to the beaver pond I saw a flashlight coming down the road on the other side. 

Edited by Woodsman416

When are you going?  Greg has a group going the week of the 19th.  I'm not going this year :(

I've hunted with Stony Brook 3 times and a different outfitter once.  Bob and Jaye will go out of their way to make you comfortable and set you up on a bear.  You will be amazed at the quality and the amount of food they prepare for you.

You do have to realize that you're not generally going to see the monsters up there like you would here in NJ.  Most bears up there in New Brunswick will go around the 150-185 pound size range, sometimes a 200-250 will get shot and occasionally a 400 pounder, and many hunters will take a 100 pound bear also.  If you see cubs the size of the bucket, don't shoot the sow as they are this years cubs and won't survive without her.  Let your guide know and he will set you up on a different bait. The bear will shrink after you shoot it as it's lungs will no longer be expanded and its fur puffed out.

In general you will sit on the same bait twice and then get moved if you don't see or shot anything.

Make sure to bring plenty of bug netting for your head and hands, rain gear and warm weather gear also as the temps vary greatly. Two Thermacells are a must and a way to attach them behind you on a tree and underneath you as well. Bring an extra towel to hang on the shower house window, just in case.  If you have a She-Wee, bring that too. Do you have a Scent Crusher Bag to run your clothing through after each hunt?  Bears can't see that well, but they do have a great sense of smell.

You can purchase a fishing license and fish in the off hours as you will leave to hunt somewhere around 2-3 depending on how far from camp you are hunting and you'll get back anywhere from 10 pm to midnight.  Also bring flashlights, extension cords and an outside battery operated camping light (I am assuming you'll be in one of the cabins).  The generator goes off around midnight .  It's great to sit on the porch in the evenings and listen to the loons.

There's one rock along the walkway to the cabins where you will get service on your phone and also the second step of the first cabin, lol

I've sent you my phone number, so if you have any other questions, feel free to call me.

-Robin

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member