njbowhntr

Hamskea Hybrid Hunter

Who shoots one?  Started way back in the day shooting a 2 prong rest, then a whisker biscuit and finally a QAD Ultra.   Now I have no issue with my Qad drop away rests, but I like to try out new stuff.  So looking for some feedback on fellow archers that have shot both.  I have tuned a bow that had one on it, but only shot about 20 arrows through it.  And it seemed solid and quiet.

Supposed to be good.  A lot of guys use the target model for 3d.

Target guys have been going to a variation of this test over the past 8 or so year I can remember. If they trust it, I trust it. I shot a prototype model about 6 years ago that made it to market and was VERY pleased with the results 

ttt on this one,  I am on the same boat,

looking to get the Hamskea Hunter or VaporTrail Gen 7 on my Hoyt Powermax as an upgrade to my QAD rest.

anyone know which Dealers are base in NJ that carry both these brands?

• Like 1

Well I have a Hamskea on order for my bow, will be here tomorrow.  It will be going on a whole new set up that I am building.  So not exactly sure on how long it will take to get it together.  Probably a few weeks.  Arrows take the longest for me to get.  For this set up I am even switching the arrows that I shoot.  I have been having a lot of problems with consistency with the old ones.  

I order my arrows from southshorearcherysupply.com.  Jerry is great.  He cuts from both ends, installs inserts, squares both ends, and spine aligns the arrows.  Then I fletch myself.  At present I do not have a Ram Spine  tool.  If I had one of those I would do more inhouse, but that is $325.   

• Like 2

I couldn’t agree more, Jerry does a great job with arrows, does all of mine also, including the fletching. You will like the Hamskea, good luck..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, njbowhntr said:

Well I have a Hamskea on order for my bow, will be here tomorrow.  It will be going on a whole new set up that I am building.  So not exactly sure on how long it will take to get it together.  Probably a few weeks.  Arrows take the longest for me to get.  For this set up I am even switching the arrows that I shoot.  I have been having a lot of problems with consistency with the old ones.  

I order my arrows from southshorearcherysupply.com.  Jerry is great.  He cuts from both ends, installs inserts, squares both ends, and spine aligns the arrows.  Then I fletch myself.  At present I do not have a Ram Spine  tool.  If I had one of those I would do more inhouse, but that is $325.   

I have the spine tester. I’ll say that you find more importance for it when checking the actual components of the build then the spine itself. In all the years I’ve used it, I’ve found 4 arrows out of who knows how many thousands that simply slipped through the QC check I guess. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

I have the spine tester. I’ll say that you find more importance for it when checking the actual components of the build then the spine itself. In all the years I’ve used it, I’ve found 4 arrows out of who knows how many thousands that simply slipped through the QC check I guess. 

I more check for the stuff side of the arrow. Then I fletch all of my arrows with the stuff side facing down and up. This way all arrows flex the same on the shot. And yes it really does make a difference. If you ever have an arrow that will not group with the rest, spin the nock between the next fletching. Impact will change. 

3 minutes ago, njbowhntr said:

I more check for the stuff side of the arrow. Then I fletch all of my arrows with the stuff side facing down and up. This way all arrows flex the same on the shot. And yes it really does make a difference. If you ever have an arrow that will not group with the rest, spin the nock between the next fletching. Impact will change. 

Yes. Been doing this for over 20 years. Sometimes the sweet spot doesn’t not line up with the spine index also. Every so often I get one that needs a little turn. Another thing I do for hunting arrows is take all my bare shafts and shoot through paper. Then rotate nocks until I have the same tearon them all. The complete bear shaft tuning. Other then some minor tweaks for BH’s this usually puts my walk back tuning within a hash mark of adjustment on the rest. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

Yes. Been doing this for over 20 years. Sometimes the sweet spot doesn’t not line up with the spine index also. Every so often I get one that needs a little turn. Another thing I do for hunting arrows is take all my bare shafts and shoot through paper. Then rotate nocks until I have the same tearon them all. The complete bear shaft tuning. Other then some minor tweaks for BH’s this usually puts my walk back tuning within a hash mark of adjustment on the rest. 

I shoot my bareshafts also. Not through paper though, from 20 yards. Different method but we are both aiming for the same results. I see you have the same arrow ocd that I have. I like it. 

7 minutes ago, njbowhntr said:

I shoot my bareshafts also. Not through paper though, from 20 yards. Different method but we are both aiming for the same results. I see you have the same arrow ocd that I have. I like it. 

Countless thousands of arrows a year 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, LRG said:

ttt on this one,  I am on the same boat,

looking to get the Hamskea Hunter or VaporTrail Gen 7 on my Hoyt Powermax as an upgrade to my QAD rest.

anyone know which Dealers are base in NJ that carry both these brands?

I ordered from SandSarchery.com. I order a bunch of stuff from them. 

Got the Hamskea installed on the new bow last night. So easy to install and no press needed.  Setting the timing was simple. 

The itself I will not be shooting for a week or so. New arrows should be in by the end of the week. And new strings and sight next week. 

• Like 1

I swapped out my QAD for the Hamskea Hybrid Hunter two years ago and do t regret the move 1 bit. I believe I posted the QAD for sale on here. I wont go back. As easy as the QAD is, the Hamskea is so much easier. True micro adjust, limb driven, full containment, no cocking, flawless operation. 

• Like 1

I shoot a Hamskea rest on my target bow and love it, QAD on all my hunting bows. What issue did you have with the QAD?

While the Hamskeas can be set up cable driven I never seen them set up that way. The long cable down to the limb concerns me in a hunting application.

That's just me though.

• Like 1