IGNORED

Unethical or Ethical - You Be The Judge

yoda4x4

I came upon this video suggestion on YouTube, watched the video, and started thinking about the ethics behind it.

In all honesty I'm a bit conflicted. I tend to think that a hunter should use whatever legal weapon they should choose so long as you get a humane kill. On the other hand, Keith Warren's choice to use a 50BMG as his weapon to me is insane. And then to use it for a head shot makes me literally cringe at the thought of this. I just can't get behind this.

What do you all think?

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I think its crazy he missed and still killed the deer. No meat wasted there. I know many people that take neck shots and even though i dont do it hey its what they choose. I also know someone that hunt with a 50bmg. They have taken many deer and hogs with it. My opinion is why not? Quick humane kill and thats what we all aim for.

I'm not for shooting at a deer's head, using a .22-250 to kill a deer, using a .410 to try killing a turkey, 50 yard shots with a bow, playing fish on ultra-lite tackle, or many of the other circus tricks I read about or see on TV. But the world doesn'r revolve my likes & dislikes....as long as he is following the law, it's not up to me to judge his ethics. We need to stick together more as outdoor people.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Makes me kind of sick actually...I hate listening to ignorant hillbilllies defend stupid shit like head shots.   

I'm fine with the caliber choice, so long as it's a legal weapon.  Put the crosshairs on the vitals and squeeze the trigger.  Dead deer.   What if he ended up blowing the deer's snout off and maiming it and it ran away, never to be found?  

27 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Makes me kind of sick actually...I hate listening to ignorant hillbilllies defend stupid shit like head shots.   

I'm fine with the caliber choice, so long as it's a legal weapon.  Put the crosshairs on the vitals and squeeze the trigger.  Dead deer.   What if he ended up blowing the deer's snout off and maiming it and it ran away, never to be found?  

ever shoot a turkey in the vitals? Headshot.

Woodchucks,squirrels,coyote? headshot

I do not take them on deer but to call names and say its stupid defending it is out of line a bit. They have their place. If it was population control he was doing then why does it matter where its shot? When you shoot hogs for control you dont care about an ethical shot or even if it runs off and dies as long as its dead. To most of us in this region and from a strictly hunting perspective I believe its unnecessary, but we all seem to be ignorant when we look at how the rest of the country does stuff.

11 minutes ago, mattg1500 said:

ever shoot a turkey in the vitals? Headshot.

Woodchucks,squirrels,coyote? headshot

I do not take them on deer but to call names and say its stupid defending it is out of line a bit. They have their place. If it was population control he was doing then why does it matter where its shot? When you shoot hogs for control you dont care about an ethical shot or even if it runs off and dies as long as its dead. To most of us in this region and from a strictly hunting perspective I believe its unnecessary, but we all seem to be ignorant when we look at how the rest of the country does stuff.

Turkeys...Shotgun headshot...bow vitals. Shotgun spray is different than 1 bullet though

Never shot a woodchuck or coyote.  I'd probably put lead anywhere I could.  I used to shoot squirrels in the vitals with a .22 in PA.  They die and I eat them.  

If you want an animal to die, shoot it in the vitals.  If you want to roll the dice with a headshot, feel free.  With the exception of a  shotgun on a turkey, I'm fairly certain that a headshot is never the best option.  

Edited by not on the rug

When you take a head shot your kill area is about the size of a small fist and shit happens. When you take a heart or, lung shot your lethal area has just enlarged several times over. If I lost a animal knowing I did everything possible to my fullest for a quick clean kill I can live with that but, if I took a low percentage shot and lost or wounded the animal shame on me for doing so.

Cool Something new to argue over bait , crossbows and deer drives have been :beatingdeadhorse:.. let me get some :popcorn:  if you want to hunt with a BMG have at it .. just dont expect to do it legally in NJ :rofl:.. just because i may not want to  use one  shoudn't stop others if they choose to...                                                             

Edited by buckhound

2 hours ago, not on the rug said:

With the exception of a  shotgun on a turkey, I'm fairly certain that a headshot is never the best option.  

Head or neck shot on a hog is probably your best option if available (large target and drops them in their tracks). If I ever was forced to use buckshot for deer, I'd aim for head neck shots also.

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook: