IGNORED

NDA SURVEY (Checking your Deer in)

Live to Hunt

NDA SURVEY (Checking Deer in)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Do you believe that physically checking in a deer that you harvested at a regional check station should be mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. 2. If check stations were available a reasonable driving distance from where you hunt or live, would you physically check your deer in even if it was not mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. 3. Would you go to a deer check station, possibly with friends and family members, to see the deer that are brought in?

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

when was that? I never had anyone at check station do that. maybe the old days when check stations were state run.

I had them do that until the last year they were still doing mandatory check stations.  But the ones I went to always had a Division employee doing that work.  Maybe some stations did not, I don't know.  

16 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I remember getting many a jaw cut. Never saw them pull a tooth but they looked at them.  All that could really tell them though is if deer older than 1.5.  How much older - impossible to tell.  Also they only did this by ne on 6-day opener.  Never on any other day or season. 

I remember always being asked if they could extract a tooth or not and I always gave my permission.  Strange that they did things differently at different check stations.  It also seemed that check station in the north where I was were always closing, and you had to find a new one every year or two.  

21 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I had them do that until the last year they were still doing mandatory check stations.  But the ones I went to always had a Division employee doing that work.  Maybe some stations did not, I don't know.  

Well, that's the difference. My check station was my butcher with no state workers

3 hours ago, Buck154 said:

When there was check in station we get together and have a beer at "Just Plain Jane's" bar in Jackson. Had my first beer there with my dad and family friends (legal Beer :rofl:).

I spent a lot of summer Sundays at Just Plain Janes. I'd share some of the stuff that went on in that pavillion in the back but it's just not appropriate for this site!

As much of a pita it can be as I said above checks stations make our sport more viable to the general public..  the more exposure in my opinion the better..  when somthing is common place less people fight it and we are seen in a better light.  Also the more exposure it's harder for them to pass the lies that are being passed by antis to paint  us in a bad light..  same as with open and concealed carry..  states that allow it it's common place here it's being fought tooth and nail even with possibility of national recipricosuty and they are saying it will be like the wild west wich we know will not happen...

26 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

As much of a pita it can be as I said above checks stations make our sport more viable to the general public..  the more exposure in my opinion the better..  when somthing is common place less people fight it and we are seen in a better light.  Also the more exposure it's harder for them to pass the lies that are being passed by antis to paint  us in a bad light..  same as with open and concealed carry..  states that allow it it's common place here it's being fought tooth and nail even with possibility of national recipricosuty and they are saying it will be like the wild west wich we know will not happen...

You have a good point but that's not always the case. For example if we could call in our harvested bears, we would take away the yearly spot light on demonstrations at check stations.

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

You have a good point but that's not always the case. For example if we could call in our harvested bears, we would take away the yearly spot light on demonstrations at check stations.

Or better yet have a longer season like New York and pa and you have more exposure and no pin point time for the protest

1 hour ago, Woodsman416 said:

I spent a lot of summer Sundays at Just Plain Janes. I'd share some of the stuff that went on in that pavillion in the back but it's just not appropriate for this site!

Was a shame they closed and demo the building. Was alway good time checking deer in and the playing darts or pool while having a few beers.