kanigie

FYI - A large warehouse has been proposed on a mapped tributary of the Musconetcong River

Saw the signs along Along Asbury Bloomsbury Rd this weekend. Just received this email. I will be attending Wednesday evening.

The warehouse proposed 1,200,000 sq ft, over 20 football fields!  The petition is asking for a minimum of 1200 parking spaces for trucks, and a minimum of 582 spaces in another parking lot, including 323 future spaces! 

https://www.skylandspreservationalliance.org/

image.png.ce86c2bc55f486bb5d3e2a714bfa0f7e.png

• Like 1

bring a bog turtle up there, get a picture of it, project finished.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We successfully beat back another similar project early on when I was the Musconetcong Home Rivers Initiative Coordinator for Trout Unlimited's Eastern Conservation staff.  I just received the same  email but don't yet have any details to add.  The tributary and the river are  both C-1 protected streams with 300' buffers from development.  That's about all I know currently.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kanigie said:

Saw the signs along Along Asbury Bloomsbury Rd this weekend. Just received this email. I will be attending Wednesday evening.

The warehouse proposed 1,200,000 sq ft, over 20 football fields!  The petition is asking for a minimum of 1200 parking spaces for trucks, and a minimum of 582 spaces in another parking lot, including 323 future spaces! 

https://www.skylandspreservationalliance.org/

image.png.ce86c2bc55f486bb5d3e2a714bfa0f7e.png

Are you concerned they are doing something illegal or are you just against the project being developed at all?

1 hour ago, stratocaster said:

Are you concerned they are doing something illegal or are you just against the project being developed at all?

I can't speak for kanigie, but if it is like the other major truck warehouse that had plans to be built, it would have radically changed the bucolic nature of the Musconetcong River valley and put hundreds or thousands of tractor trailers on back roads each day, all day and night that typically see only as much John Deere tractor traffic as car traffic.  However, the development may very well be legal, and if it is all the protest means nothing.   The devil is in the details.  There is clearly a C-1 tributary .  But it would be built smack in the middle of farm fields which themselves are surrounded by farm fields and would look very out of place.  Oftentimes, developers simply ignore streams and show them rerouted to suit their goals which is not allowed on a C-1 trout stream.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I can't speak for kanigie, but if it is like the other major truck warehouse that had plans to be built, it would have radically changed the bucolic nature of the Musconetcong River valley and put hundreds or thousands of tractor trailers on back roads each day, all day and night that typically see only as much John Deere tractor traffic as car traffic.  However, the development may very well be legal, and if it is all the protest means nothing.   The devil is in the details.  There is clearly a C-1 tributary .  But it would be built smack in the middle of farm fields which themselves are surrounded by farm fields and would look very out of place.  Oftentimes, developers simply ignore streams and show them rerouted to suit their goals which is not allowed on a C-1 trout stream.  

Ok Brian, and I address this to Kanigie as well,   but any kind of development unless it's a single home on a single lot(some people are against that as well) changes the nature of an undeveloped or rural area.  You could argue at what price is a development worth it and that is a discussion worth having. But at the very least, have a logical conversation about it. 

This facility if built would be smaller than the recently closed Toys R Us distribution center in Flanders which is 1.5 million square feet.  At the time of the development of that facility in 1995 there were a lot of people who were strongly against it for the very same reasons,(I lived on Bartley rd for a while and drove past the facility on my commute) trucks on the road, more cars on the road,  impacts to the nearby SB Raritan,  it would look too out of place in such a quiet rural area, the list of negatives was endless.  But for the time it was in operation, over 20 years, it did provide jobs for close to 500 people and hundreds more during the holiday season who supported many local businesses and taxes of almost $1.5 million to the town for many years.  Did it have an impact? Yes.  Was the impact all negative?  Far from it. 

I'm suggesting to keep an open mind and weigh the pros and cons instead of being alarmist and reactionary and shutting out all discussion and debate of the economic opportunities a development like this can deliver. If they decide after all the discussion it's not worth it, that would be fine but at least it was considered.  If there is a need for such a facility and it gets turned down, you can be assured it will be built somewhere else where it is wanted by the community. 

Not sure where I have been alarmist about this. And by the way, I live a mile from the Toys “R” Us warehouse you refer to. Have for over 23 years. There are a number of large businesses in that valley already and the number continues to grow. Siemens and Benjamin Moore paints being just two of them but there are many others as you know. This could very well get built and that will be that. As I said in my earlier post, the devil is in the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

I live on Bloomsbury Road and I'm a member of the Warren County Rod and Gun club that leases property that abuts this property.  First off, this tract is zoned industrial and the warehouse is allowed in this zoning, there are a lot of shady things going on.

When the developer submitted their riparian buffer application to the DEP the tributary stream to the Musky was deleted from the map and the DEP approved the application.  I guess the DEP doesn't check their own maps before rubber stamping an application.

The developer was supposed to notify the adjoining landowners of their intentions to build and seek variances, they did not not notify them.  The adjoining landowners sent in letters to the DEP, when their attorney and consulting engineer went to the DEP to review the file, the landowner letters were not in the file.

The septic application lists up to 300 workers a day and a 7800 gallon septic system.  it's been a long time since I did septic/sewerage treatment design but if one person flushes a toilet two times a day at a conservative 5 gal./flush, this equals 10gals/person times 300 people equals 3000 gal/day, times 30 days equals 90,000 gallons per month!  I have a 1000 gallon septic tank for four people.

There are line of sight issues, this is a one lane county road with limited access from Rt. 78, the small town of Bloomsbury is already a mess with truck traffic.  Can a one lane county road handle 1000 extra trucks a day?  The property goes down hill from Bloomsbury Road, the only level ground is right next to the houses presently there, aren't there any setback issues?  

The zoning officer for Franklin Township went around and trespassed on homeowners property and physically took the lawn signs protesting the warehouse off peoples property and dumped them in the garbage.  After a lot of complaining, most, not all of the signs were returned.  The zoning officer did not take my sign (I didn't put it up yet), if he did, I would have charged him with trespassing and theft!

Please attend the meeting on May 1 at the Franklin Township municipal building on Rt. 57 if you want to hear what is being proposed and going on.  The Skylands Preservation is accepting donations if you would like to help out.  Thank you.

• Like 2

I used to live a few minutes from there and cannot imagine all of the tractor trailers driving on the narrow roads. Not good!

14 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Going to learn more, first I'm hearing of this. 

They are building these giant warehouses everywhere. I lost 4 large farms to them near my house. the truck traffic is horrible and not to mention the amount of accidents now involving trucks. I dont see it being avoided.

6 minutes ago, mattg1500 said:

They are building these giant warehouses everywhere. I lost 4 large farms to them near my house. the truck traffic is horrible and not to mention the amount of accidents now involving trucks. I dont see it being avoided.

I moved west to get away from all that. 

A similar Depot was proposed approximately ten years on the same road and was shot down. I forget the details but Bloomsbury fought it because they would essentially deal with the traffic while Franklin reaped the the tax benefits. A giant warehouse is also in the works by Jandel along 519 in white twp. This is a similar area with the Delaware River and plenty of farms and roads too small for truck traffic. The land in white was purchased for 11.2 million which indicates to me they are confident it’s going get built.

Odd behavior by the zoning officer in Franklin township. I believe he was hanging his hat on an ordinance banning/limiting the placing of signs in a yard but then took it upon himself to trespass and steal the signs , then throw them away. Obviously a poor choice and he is probably lucky the consequences of his actions have not elevated to criminal charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, kanigie said:

I moved west to get away from all that. 

Im in Pa. I need to move even further. If yor drive to Cabelas they are all over out there also. I just saw a field by the Pa state range that says " Storage Units Coming Soon!" It sucks

8 minutes ago, mattg1500 said:

Im in Pa. I need to move even further. If yor drive to Cabelas they are all over out there also. I just saw a field by the Pa state range that says " Storage Units Coming Soon!" It sucks

Agreed, I moved 1,500 miles shy of where I wanted to be...

• Like 2