IGNORED

Bucktail Jig Hook Help Needed.........

rocky

I am new to making bucktails and I need help buying the correct hooks for the molds that I have. I ordered a few different sizes and I am done wasting money. I need a person who has the molds and can point me in the right direction.

The first mold is a Do-It Ultra Minnow Jig Mold sizes 5oz-6oz-8oz. I purchased 100 of the Mustad 9/0  O'Shaughnessy jig hooks and they seem huge.

The second mold is a Do-It Ultra Minnow Jig mold sizes 2oz-3oz-4oz. I purchased 25 of the Gamakatsu 8/0 heavy wire jig hooks but, the eye hole is too small to use with this mold.

Thank you in advance.

Plus, if you know  a good place to get Bucktail hair that would be appreciated.

Edited by rocky

1 minute ago, rocky said:

I am new to making bucktails and I need help buying the correct hooks for the molds that I have. I ordered a few different sizes and I am done wasting money. I need a person who has the molds and can point me in the right direction.

The first mold is a Do-It Ultra Minnow Jig Mold sizes 5oz-6oz-8oz. I purchased 100 of the Mustad 9/0  O'Shaughnessy jig hooks and they seem huge.

The second mold is a Do-It Ultra Minnow Jig mold sizes 2oz-3oz-4oz. I purchased 25 of the Gamakatsu 8/0 heavy wire jig hooks but, the eye hole is too small to use with this mold.

Thank you in advance.

If you want the better hooks you have to modify the mold for the eye. Dremel the area down so the eyelet will fit over it. Use the Mustad Ultra Point 32786BN hooks or the Gamakatsu.  

43 minutes ago, rocky said:

Thank you in advance.

Plus, if you know  a good place to get Bucktail hair that would be appreciated.

Where are you located.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

53 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

If you want the better hooks you have to modify the mold for the eye. Dremel the area down so the eyelet will fit over it. Use the Mustad Ultra Point 32786BN hooks or the Gamakatsu.  

Ok thanks for the info that is a good start.

20 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

White hair is all you need, just grab a few tails off some fresh road kills. When I started making jigs I bought all kids of colors, in my opinion it was a waste of money.

Normally I would be able to get a bunch of tails but this time of year it is a lot harder. If I had known I was going to start making bucktails sooner I would have been more prepared.

20 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Where are you located.

Mount Laurel NJ.

15 minutes ago, rocky said:

Ok thanks for the info that is a good start.

Normally I would be able to get a bunch of tails but this time of year it is a lot harder. If I had known I was going to start making bucktails sooner I would have been more prepared.

Mount Laurel NJ.

Hop skip an jump,or take the truck lol Newark sinker/Fairfield tackle

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

45 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Can buy them all the way to 9/0 .

you should only need 8/0 in the larger bucktails 

I have a 100 of those 9/0 hooks now, maybe I will use them when the blues start ripping my gear apart! :devil:

37 minutes ago, rocky said:

I have a 100 of those 9/0 hooks now, maybe I will use them when the blues start ripping my gear apart! :devil:

I would use the 9/0 in the 8 Oz.

8/0 is on short side for large grubs.

9/0 in black nickel John and I suggested ,

‘duratin throw them out they are garbage

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

On 4/28/2019 at 6:47 PM, hammer4reel said:

Mustad 32786BN.

only hook to use .

I swear I am going to pull my hair out. So I ordered the hooks you suggested to me and I received......

Mustad Ultra Point

REF#

32833NP-BN

Size 8

Quantity 100

These hooks are so small they would have a hard time hooking a minnow! :banghead:

Edited by rocky