Sign in to follow this  
BHC

1187 Issue....

It's my 1187 Super Magnum Turkey Shotgun....Damn action is locked in the open position,  it will not budge. I took the barrel off,  checked out what I can see.....drop it off at the gunsmith tomorrow.  I will break out the Mossberg 835.

My Mossberg 835 has the Indian Creek Turkey choke, has anyone tried the Winchester's Longbeards XRs with this choke? If not I will get a Carlson Longbeard XR choke 

8 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Yup!Dead bird 50yds.

So you have tried the LONGBEARD XR thru a INDIAN CREEK CHOKE?

Posted (edited)

Did you check the o ring? The 1187 lives and dies by the o ring. Locked action sounds like something else though. 

Edited by KBfishing
  • Like 2

The O ring is great....it maybe the action bar....this happened on my 1187 20ga slug gun

1 minute ago, KBfishing said:

Did you check the o ring? The 1187 lives and dies by the o ring. Locked action sounds like something else thought. 

Only one way to tell and that's to pattern it.  You are probably going to get good patterns with that combo but they are also likely really tight inside 20 yards so you'll need to make sure you are hitting where you are aiming.  My 870 with carlsons longbeard choke and longbeard shells is really tight at 15 - 20 yds.  If my sights weren't dead on could very easily miss a close range shot.  

• Like 1

Joe, take out the 835 with an extra full choke and 3 1/2" Magnum Winchester copper loads. Done/dead bird....

• Like 1

So sad that mostly any Remington manufacturers within the last five years in trash.   At one time they was making the bes5 guns period.  Sadily those days are over. 

7 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

Wonder if it is the shell ramp?

It could be, it will not move down...its stuck solid in up position 

I think maybe the gas slide tabs might have come out of the notches on the bolt. You might have to hold the bolt back, slide the mechanism on the gas tub and line it up...

I had this happen on mine but don't remember what i did to resolve it. I was taking it apart to clean after deer week. I have the super mag.

Have you tried removing the pins that hold the trigger housing in?

Went over to the Heritage Guild in Easton, I was the first one in. Gunsmith showed me the problem....it was me:rofl:....He showed me what to do, he said it happens from time to time....pull the bolt back completely taking out the little slack it has while holding it back inside the chamber is a small lever push that, he said it will hang up at times,  he said apply a very little amount of oil.

Got the LONGBEARD XR choke for this gun as well, but no 3.5" LONGBEARD XR ammo available 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BHC said:

Went over to the Heritage Guild in Easton, I was the first one in. Gunsmith showed me the problem....it was me:rofl:....He showed me what to do, he said it happens from time to time....pull the bolt back completely taking out the little slack it has while holding it back inside the chamber is a small lever push that, he said it will hang up at times,  he said apply a very little amount of oil.

Got the LONGBEARD XR choke for this gun as well, but no 3.5" LONGBEARD XR ammo available 

Awesome.